Best fields for self-education

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses the increasing importance of self-education and certifications in fields like computer software engineering and information technology. The speaker is interested in pursuing a career in a field like mathematics and asks what fields a human resources manager would hire someone who is self-educated, excluding law, medical, and social work. The response is that positions that do not require a college degree would be the most likely, although it is rare for someone without a degree to be hired in fields like software development.
TheMacNerd
Hi,
My question is what fields would a human resources (hiring/firing) manager hire someone who self-educates themselves on a topic? I know that computer software engineering/computer science/information technology can be self-educated with IT certifications and whatever. That's very clearly what it's more about these days. I know that these days it's pretty much don't bother with going to college unless you're a lawyer, doctor or anything with medical, social work/human services or literally rocket science. These days it's clearly more about self-education and certifications or learning a trade over college. I'm also interested in doing something with mathematics. Again, my question is exactly what fields (excluding law, medical and social work) would an actual human resources manager hire someone who is self educated?

Physics news on Phys.org
College provides education and it provides certification. You are proposing to give up that certification. To a good approximation, the answer to "exactly what fields (excluding law, medical and social work) would an actual human resources manager hire someone who is self educated?" is "positions that do not require a college degree."

Although people have been hired for software development positions without college CS degrees, this is pretty rare (speaking as someone who worked in the software industry for 15 years). Someone without the certification of a degree might get hired in rare circumstances, but only if they could demonstrate experience, such as by being the author of a well-known software product.

1. What are the best fields for self-education?

The best fields for self-education are those that align with your interests and career goals. It's important to choose a field that you are genuinely passionate about and see yourself pursuing in the long run.

2. Is self-education as effective as traditional education?

Self-education can be just as effective as traditional education, as long as you are dedicated and motivated to learn. With self-education, you have the flexibility to tailor your learning experience and go at your own pace.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-educating?

To stay motivated while self-educating, it's important to set clear goals for yourself and regularly track your progress. You can also seek out a community of like-minded individuals or find a mentor to keep you accountable and inspired.

4. Are there any specific skills I should focus on when self-educating?

The skills you should focus on when self-educating depend on your career goals and the field you are interested in. However, some important skills to develop include critical thinking, time management, and self-discipline.

5. What are some resources for self-education?

There are many resources available for self-education, such as online courses, books, podcasts, and workshops. You can also utilize free resources like YouTube tutorials or online forums to learn from others and expand your knowledge.