1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best fit line?

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    best fit line???

DOes that mean you draw a line/curve connecting the dots?
    Or does that mean you draw a line in between the dots leaving some above and some below?
    or does that mean you connect the dots but leave out the ones that dnt fit with the shape?
    please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2
    Re: best fit line???

If you are using Excel, you would have to add a "trend line", or you can always draw it but I'm too lazy for that :P. Anyways it means to draw/put a line on a graph indicating a statistical trend. Some dots can also not be included because of it being a wrong or bad value. In Excel, just right click on 1 of the dots on the graph and click add trendline, the choose which type fits best your graph. If you need the equation, just click the option tab and select add equation on chart.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

my graoh was drawn by hand
    so is it a line between the pointss, or through??

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Well I would say it depends on your graph. Let's say you have a linear graph, then you will need to make a straight line that connects most dots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?