Best graduate schools for CMT or HEP-T

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking recommendations for universities with good programs in High Energy Physics (theory) and Condensed Matter Theory. They mention a website, but also express a desire for recommendations from someone who has worked in these fields. The other person suggests checking out US NEWS rankings, which take into account ratings from people in the field. They also provide specific information about this ranking system.
Blondie__
Hi, thank you for reading this. I am applying to grad school this year and I'm basically torn between High Energy Physics (theory) and Condensed Matter Theory. Could you recommend me some universities that have good programs in this field? Also feel free to include school that aren't top tier but with strong groups in these fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Yes, I've heard of that site but I understand that they might not necessarily know what they're talking about when it comes to physics. I was hoping that maybe someone who has worked in these fields could give me some hints...

Blondie__ said:
Yes, I've heard of that site but I understand that they might not necessarily know what they're talking about when it comes to physics. I was hoping that maybe someone who has worked in these fields could give me some hints...

According to US NEWS they do ask of the people that work in those fields to rate them.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-questions-graduate-schools-rankings?PageNr=1

Read #2 and #6 for specifics of your concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top graduate schools for CMT (Condensed Matter Theory)?

Some of the top graduate schools for CMT include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, and Princeton University.

2. Are there specific programs or concentrations for HEP-T (High Energy Physics-Theory) at these schools?

Yes, many of these top graduate schools for CMT also offer specific programs or concentrations for HEP-T, such as MIT's Theoretical Physics Program and Berkeley's High Energy Theory Group.

3. How do these schools rank compared to others for CMT and HEP-T?

Each ranking system may have slightly different results, but generally MIT, Berkeley, and Princeton are consistently among the top schools for CMT and HEP-T.

4. What types of research opportunities are available for graduate students in CMT and HEP-T at these schools?

Graduate students in CMT and HEP-T at these top schools have access to a wide range of research opportunities, from working with faculty on cutting-edge projects to collaborating with other students in research groups and labs.

5. Are there any notable alumni from these graduate programs in CMT and HEP-T?

Yes, there are many notable alumni from these top graduate schools in CMT and HEP-T, including Nobel Prize winners and prominent researchers in the field.