Who is the Best Guitarist of All Time?

• Thread starter DR13
  • Start date
In summary: I think the best guitarist of all time is subjective and can't be determined definitively. However, some popular choices among guitar enthusiasts include Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Kirk Cobain, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, Erik Mongrain, Andre Segovia, Chet Atkins, Frank Zappa, Paco De Lucia, Victor Wooten, Ronni Le Tekrø, Leo Kotke, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Buckethead, Michael Romeo, Alexi Laiho, and Jesper Strömblad. Each of these musicians have their own unique styles and talents that have earned them recognition and admiration from fans. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference and opinion.
Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac may be one of the most underestimated guitarists around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZp76M4NGc&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrOqhQvDC4

Physics news on Phys.org
7 pages of this has convinced me of 3 things:

1.) There is no "best" guitarist.
2.) There are a bunch of ASTOUNDING guitarists.
3.) I'm going to iTunes to get some of these.

MacLaddy said:
Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac may be one of the most underestimated guitarists around.
Django was a family friend and a frequent visitor. Buckingham was Fleetwood Mac's 2nd-best guitarist after Peter Green. When the Beatles recorded "Sun King" it was a tribute to Green, and they hoped to sign him to their Apple label after Green grew disaffected with FM. Green wanted FM to be a non-profit band, and after hitting the charts in England and here in the US, his band-mates thought that they might like to gain some income from their successes. Sad. Such a wonderful band broken up over such an ignorant argument. Green (and other band members, if they wished) could have donated all their earnings and future royalties to charities pretty easily.

MacLaddy said:
I agree, but this was the best live version I could come up with. I would love to be able to find a decent quality live version when the band was whole (with Waters, that is), but alas, nothing.

Unfortunately I was never able to see them perform live, but I have seen The Australian Pink Floyd Show seven times in the last six years, and they are the next best thing. www.aussiefloyd.com

I did see PF live when they came out here - must have been 30 years ago now. Fantastic stuff! The flying pig across the audience was a novel touch. The Aus PF Show .. damn, now that you mention it, I've seen it advertised a few times here. Why haven't I gone to see it I ask myself ? Next time - for sure !

alt said:
I did see PF live when they came out here - must have been 30 years ago now. Fantastic stuff! The flying pig across the audience was a novel touch. The Aus PF Show .. damn, now that you mention it, I've seen it advertised a few times here. Why haven't I gone to see it I ask myself ? Next time - for sure !

Too busy stuffing a jumbuck in your tucker-bag? :wink:

nismaratwork said:
Too busy stuffing a jumbuck in your tucker-bag? :wink:

Nah ! Just waltzing my Matilda :-)

PS - you owe me an email ..

alt said:
Nah ! Just waltzing my Matilda :-)

PS - you owe me an email ..

I know, I'm tardy and ashamed, but I need to read a bit more poetry! :tongue:

alt said:

I'm very jealous. I would have loved to see them perform live. Gilmour is rumored to be performing a show with Waters later this year on Waters Wall tour, but we'll see.

The Aussie Floyd actually has one of the original Pigs that they will occasionally pull out for the song, Pigs. This is a video of their smiling kangaroo, while performing an early number, One of these days.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=UwKAno5hhPg

(that's a mobile link from my phone, so not sure how it will work)

I have to say Buckethead is definitely one of my favorites.
My personal favorites by him:

and:

Last edited by a moderator:
here's another one by holdsworth. too catchy to be representative of the rest of his stuff, but I like it anyway

Eric is a monster. No, not that Eric!

turbo-1 said:
Eric is a monster. No, not that Eric!

But also that eric.

How about the second best guitarist, Emmet Ray? (and has anyone heard of Doc Watson?)

I already named my favorite guitarist (Davild Gilmour from Pink Floyd) but I've been picking bluegrass lately on the mandol and I ran across this guitar version of "cattle in the cane"

Jimmy Page! :approve:

and for geoff achison fans:

Adrian Legg is OK... :bugeye:

Tony Rice, flat-picker extraordinaire, Jerry Douglas, dobro giant, and another killer guitarist - Mark O'Connor who happens to be playing fiddle on this tune.

The afore-mentioned O'Connor with Steve Wariner, Ricky Scaggs, and Vince Gill - some of the best country electric licks around - hope you like Telecasters.

I think some of these guitarists are fabulous and I had never heaRD OF THEM, LIKE ERIK MONGRAIN, and Paco de Lucia, but growing up in Nashville where Chet Atkins was the daily standard, and almost everyone could play guitar acceptably, most of the others here do not impress me as much.

I am leaving aside Segovia, who is hands down the best, but everyone knows that. Indeed we need to almost leave aside all Spanish guitarists as they are so much better than everyone else it is not fair.

I like Cocaine and Crossroads and Yes, you look wonderful tonight, and I like Eric Clapton, but he does not impress as much if you have grown up on BB King. I recall a BB King concert where he thanked the young Clapton and Jeff Beck fans for reviving his career. That is one of the great deeds by Clapton and the other imitators: that they gave credit to those then obscure black artists from whom they had learned, and gave them new careers.

Anyway thanks for these links. The "Emmet Ray" licks of course, for those of you who have not seen the excellent Woody Allen movie Sweet and Lowdown, staring Sean Penn, are played by Django Reinhardt.

As for stringed virtuosity, I like the work of ali akbar khan on sarod; e.g. "pre dawn to sunrise ragas" (which actually do sound best at 4am).

It is interesting that we seem to agree there is a difference between someone who plays amazingly well, and someone who we like to listen to playing one or more particular songs. I probably listen to Clapton more than Segovia, but Segovia is infinitely better.

Last edited:

VJ_v9HCQ-RE[/youtube] [MEDIA=youtube]A3Iq0Qs0GAI[/MEDIA]

thank you so much Fourier jr for those links. until this moment i had forgotten that artist who my brother played for me in the 50's. my brother charlie smith, was one of bill monroe's fiddlers, and a natural musician who played not just violin but trumpet and guitar. in addition to sabicas, we enjoyed "manitas de plata". i'll look for a link to him.

Great stuff, mathwonk.

Here's Rodrigo y Gabriela -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

thanks so much! here are two more stars i grew up listening to : les paul and mary ford:

feel free to delete this as off topic, but you got me reminiscing about nashville in the 60's and I thought of charlie mccoy:

this is not a saxophone or alto vocalist, but a harmonica:

http://www.charliemccoy.com/audio/cryme.mp3

mathwonk said:
in addition to sabicas, we enjoyed "manitas de plata". i'll look for a link to him.

mathwonk said:
here are some:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000023FQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

its kind of hard to find the ones i heard 50 years ago but here are some links.

that was a good find! both those guys make it look easy.

lisab said:
Great stuff, mathwonk.

Here's Rodrigo y Gabriela -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

they're pretty good too

Shawn Lane is without a doubt the best technical player...

But for me Allan Holdsworth when he played in groups such as Gong, UK, Soft Machine and with Bill Bruford and Jeff Berlin is simply put the best there is.

how about kirk hammet? my fave. or dime bag darrel from pantera best harmonics. kk downing. i read in rolling stone that bb king was the best and for some people he is. i guess it depends on your taste in music. check out kirk or darrel though. impressive. also watch the video for "througfire and the flames" by dragon force on youtube.