Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best IDEs for Java Dev Work?

1. May 15, 2018 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    Teaching myself Java programming from 0. I used some online forums. Now I would like to work, programming on my own PC, i.e., not just as a client . What are good IDEs for Database Dev work? I have been recommended Atom .

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2018 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Atom is mostly an editor with a lot of third party plugins that support other languages.

We use Netbeans at work. It’s a one stop shop with all essential java development tools. There are also third party plugins although offhand I don’t know of a sql plugin for database devs.

Others to look at are Eclipse, IBMs variant ie Websphere IDE based on Eclipse will have support from DB2 and sql. MS Visual Studio should have support for their product too.

Lastly, there’s IntelliJ but I’ve not used it but it too should have some support for sql

4. May 15, 2018 #3

jedishrfu

The H2Databse product, as an example, has a web based console where you can vie table contents and run queries.

This is good if you’re using java to develop a database application using jdbc and sql to do updates then use the console to check what got stored.

5. May 16, 2018 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What do you want to accomplish with your IDE with respect to the database? Are you looking to create and modify tables with it, display schemas, etc.? I have been using IntelliJ for over a decade. I used to use its DB tools with good results when I was working with relational databases. However, I've been working with mostly MongoDB for the last 5 years and prefer to use RoboMongo or scripts when I need to work with the data.

6. May 17, 2018 #5
    +1 for eclipse, there used to be a TOAD plugin that was really good for oracle database development, but I have not seen that plugin lately, I think it reached it's EOL. Still, Eclipse has some SQL developer tools and if you are learning Java then it's also good for that purpose too.

7. May 17, 2018 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used Textpad years ago for java it worked pretty well from what I remember.

8. May 17, 2018 #7

jedishrfu

A key feature of the best IDEs is giving you a selection of methods when you type a period after an instance or a Class.

As an example, typing Math. in java will give you a list of Math supported constants E and PI and a list of static methods for trig, log, power, root, ... basic operations.

It speeds development and often gives you a brief description of the arguments to the method you selected.

Netbeans, Eclipse and IntelliJ all do this, some fancy syntax hilighting editors do not. Processing is one example where that feature is absent although I’m sure they’ll add it some day...

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. May 18, 2018 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks; sorry if this is too vague, but just general application work.

10. May 18, 2018 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

If you're not using the database portion for much more than occasionally checking a few records in the database, then any IDE will suit your needs. All of the IDEs will work with database APIs like any other Java package using imported packages and/or plugins for that IDE.

In general, I mainly write unit tests and scripts to test that the data is being processed correctly by my code.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted