• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Best job?

• Thread starter ideasrule
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member

Haha. But seriously guys. The OP is quite clear that he is considering all aspects of his career choice. However, as a good scientist, he wishes to isolate some factors and study them independently before rolling them into the bigger picture (like one might study gastro-intestinal parasites isolated in a petri dish independent of the host.)

So, hypothetically all other factors being equal, what fields are higher-paying per unit dedication?

So, hypothetically all other factors being equal, what fields are higher-paying per unit dedication?
And exactly what unit is dedication measured in? :grumpy:

Of course, he moved to a compensation/hour structure, but as I noted above, that can be misleading.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

And exactly what unit is dedication measured in? :grumpy:
I'm sure we would find the responders' choices of units to be illuminating in and of themselves (assuming they're made in good faith).

Highest paying per unit dedication? (P/D)-- Advertising. But surely (at least) self-respect & intrinsic enjoyment have to be put into the equation somewhere? So we need P/D + S + I to be maximised, not just P/D. We need common units of course, I suggest units of pleasure (hedons?) Note that happiness researchers have found that rich people are no happier than those on modest pay so the equation is not linear.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

Highest paying per unit dedication? (P/D)-- Advertising.
Hello??? Is anyone paying attention here?

"Science-related. Scientific research. Physics, Astronomy Cosmology."