1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best learning resource

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    What would you guys say is the best book to self-teach oneself classical physics .. or a few books in conjuction? Im currently using Physics for scientists and engineers by Serway and Im not sure if this is good enough? THanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2
    I'd say there are better books out there.

Halliday and Resnick - Fundamentals of Physics

and if you have the big bucks

Young, Freedman, Ford - University Physics

SolsticeFire

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3

Do you think I should use these books in conjuction? or use one of the two ( and if so, which one ?) thanks

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4
    My suggestion would be to use Halliday and Resnick in conjunction with Feynman Lectures on Physics. Halliday and Resnick will develop your problem solving skills while Feynman makes you fall in love with physics :)

SolsticeFire

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

All the commonly-used calculus-based "freshman physics" textbooks cover pretty much the same territory: Halliday/Resnick, Serway, Young/Freedman, Tipler/Mosca, etc. The differences are mainly in writing style, minor variations in sequence of topics, etc. If you already have Serway, I wouldn't plunk down money for another one unless you become unhappy with its style and you inspect another book and decide it suits you better.

The three-volume Feynman Lectures are different enough that they're well worth having as a supplement. Just remember, they were originally for a class of freshman at Caltech, and even they found it somewhat rough going! But grad students and professors kept slipping into the back of the room. :tongue2: So don't expect to catch on to everything the first time through. But if you stick with physics, you'll keep coming back to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook