Which linear algebra book is the best for understanding concepts?

In summary: Lang's Algebra.In summary, there is no one "best" book for linear algebra, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some recommended options include Linear Algebra by David C Lay, Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces by Paul Halmos, and Linear Algebra Done Right by Sheldon Axler. These books offer different approaches and levels of depth, so it is important to find one that suits your needs and learning style. Additionally, there are free resources available such as notes by Ruslan Sharipov and downloadable chapters and solutions from the website for Linear Algebra by Sheldon Axler.
CPL.Luke
What would the best linear algebra book be?

I'm looking for one that has a lot of expositition and tries to get the underlying concepts across.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Linear algebra by David C lay when I took my first course in that subject. I don't think its too bad of a text.

try hoffman and kunze, or lang, or shifrin and adams. there is no best book, just one that is good for you

also free notes by ruslan sharipov. or finite dimensional vector spaces, by paul halmos.

or my free webnotes.

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

I've seen Hoffman & Kunze being suggested alot, but that it is expensive new.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1744158/-/Product.html?searchstring=hoffman+and+kunze&searchsource=0 [Broken]

£14 from Play.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
... found my way here by googling "best linear algebra book". The book I used in my first course at a university was Anton & Rorres, and that one does not answer my occasional linear algebra queries anymore. Thanks for the recommendation of Hoffman & Kunze. I'll try it if I can find it at a reasonable price (The current price at the link to play.com is 98 EUR :( ).

amazon.com has it cheaper.

I like Axler's http://linear.axler.net/" [Broken] for an applied treatment. Note that the website for the latter book has free downloadable PDFs of all chapters plus the solution manual, for personal use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halmos' Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces is my personal favorite... then for Abstract Algebra go with MacLane's Algebra

1. What is the best linear algebra book for beginners?

The best linear algebra book for beginners is "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. It provides a clear and intuitive introduction to the subject, with plenty of examples and exercises to reinforce concepts.

2. Is "Linear Algebra Done Right" a good book for self-study?

Yes, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler is a great book for self-study. It is well-written and presents the material in a logical and easy-to-understand manner, making it ideal for independent learning.

3. What makes "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" a popular choice?

"Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole is a popular choice because it covers a wide range of topics in linear algebra, including applications to other fields such as computer graphics and economics.

4. Is "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" suitable for engineering students?

Yes, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay is a great choice for engineering students. It provides a solid foundation in the subject and includes many real-world examples and applications that are relevant to engineering.

5. What is the best linear algebra book for advanced students?

The best linear algebra book for advanced students is "Linear Algebra: A Geometric Approach" by Theodore Shifrin and Malcolm Adams. It covers more advanced topics in a geometric and intuitive way, making it a great choice for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.