Finding the Best Science Majors for Analytical and Logical Thinking

In summary, an economics degree is a good choice if you want to pursue a career in finance, accounting, or business.
uberXjimmy
I was wondering about what people consider good science based majors
I want:

A challenging degree(important)
mostly based on independent work(pretty important too)
Good job prospects and pay(not that important)
analytical with theory and practice
Logical and conceptual in nature.

I like all my science subjects and have studied in one way or another most.
The only not science subjects I like are History,Economics and Philosophy
Don't know if they fit my requirments
but like I said all sciences do

So what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics fits those descriptions well!

engineering.

And since when are good job prospects and pay NOT that important? It is just important as your interest in the subject, that's for sure.

Maybe he is a rich guy and he is just doing it for fun. From my perspective Physics and Astronomy are the sciences to study.

Do physics

Astronomy must suck because you have to wait till nighttime to work :D

Astronomy must suck because you have to wait till nighttime to work :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man that is my dream. Just chill while eating doughnuts and reading some good book, and get paid like $90,000 a year. What else can one ask for?

Actually I jest :D. I bet they do all teh work work at night and do all the analyzing and such during the day. One of my professors was an astronomist and he was always sooooooo busy during the day.

uberXjimmy said:
mostly based on independent work(pretty important too)

leright said:
engineering.

Most engineers are required to work in a group or team related environment.

leright said:
And since when are good job prospects and pay NOT that important? It is just important as your interest in the subject, that's for sure.

There are those who do not hold such materialistic values. These lives do not depend on excessive monetary award and how much one earns is not as important as one's interest. This is an example of passion.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
Actually I jest :D. I bet they do all teh work work at night and do all the analyzing and such during the day. One of my professors was an astronomist and he was always sooooooo busy during the day.

Astronomer!

And I recommend Astronomy!

:biggrin:

Although physics can explain all science fields at the fundamental levels, if you want a major that will really use many of the science fields, namely physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, math and computer science. Then the one major I would recommend (I may add I choose it as my own) is BIOENGINEERING! You can get a broad science eduacation and specialize in subjects like biomechanics, bioinformatics, biotechnology, biomaterials, tissue/cell engineering etc. ITs great.

Economics definitely fits your descriptions. It is highly analytical and the job prospects are very good w/ good salary too for those holding advanced degrees in Econ.

ek said:
Astronomer!

And I recommend Astronomy!

:biggrin:

blah. astrology's where it's at! is there anything better than earning a living via making **** up?

gravenewworld said:
Economics definitely fits your descriptions. It is highly analytical and the job prospects are very good w/ good salary too for those holding advanced degrees in Econ.

well I have been well informed that banks don't hire people with commerce/economics degrees. they like to hire people with good maths and problem solving skills, such as physicists, mathematicians and engineers. This comes from a good friend of mine who works for a large bank in Australia. He has any Aerospace engineering degree!

What about Applied Math? You could take a few of each science, some econ, and then see what you like, and already have the strong math background.

However, I am guessing that you are going to be just entering college. If that is the case just take some sciences your first few years, I am sure that you will be able to make up your mind. I thought about majoring in Chemistry until I took a college Chemistry class my first semester :smile:

well I have been well informed that banks don't hire people with commerce/economics degrees. they like to hire people with good maths and problem solving skills, such as physicists, mathematicians and engineers. This comes from a good friend of mine who works for a large bank in Australia. He has any Aerospace engineering degree!

Hmm maybe in Australia. Cnn money however reported that economics is one of the most desired and highest paying degrees for an undergraduate. At the graduate level, most econ students have a double math major or minor in math anyway.

thanks everyone!
I have been reading all the great replies
I guess I'll take an economics course since I'm entering my senior year this fall and can take only one college course.
I figure econ would be good though.
Oh yeah...
Does anyone think history or philosophy are very logical or analytical in any way?
I'm pretty sure philosophy would be, not so sure about history.

Pengwuino said:

A very small fraction of an academic astronomer's time is spent actually observing, even if they are an "observer". Most of the time we're doing physics or data analysis.

rock and roll.

gravenewworld said:
Hmm maybe in Australia. Cnn money however reported that economics is one of the most desired and highest paying degrees for an undergraduate. At the graduate level, most econ students have a double math major or minor in math anyway.

Sure it is popular at an undergrad level, and probably is well payed when you first leave. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. The point is, you can do a physics/engineering/maths degree and still have a high hope of getting a job with a bank or some type of business firm. It is pretty well known that engineers/scientists have very well developed problem solving skills, ideal for the corporate world.

1. What are the top science majors for analytical and logical thinking?

The top science majors for analytical and logical thinking include mathematics, physics, computer science, chemistry, and biology. These majors require a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis.

2. How do these science majors develop analytical and logical thinking skills?

These science majors develop analytical and logical thinking skills through rigorous coursework in quantitative reasoning, experimentation, and data analysis. They also involve complex problem-solving and critical thinking exercises.

3. Are there any specific courses within these majors that focus on analytical and logical thinking?

Yes, there are specific courses within these majors that focus on analytical and logical thinking. For example, mathematics majors may take courses in logic and proofs, physics majors may take courses in computational physics, and computer science majors may take courses in algorithms and data structures.

4. Can these skills be applied to other fields outside of science?

Yes, the analytical and logical thinking skills developed in these science majors can be applied to various fields outside of science. These skills are highly transferable and can be useful in fields such as finance, engineering, and law.

5. How can I determine which science major is the best fit for my analytical and logical thinking abilities?

The best way to determine which science major is the best fit for your analytical and logical thinking abilities is to research the curriculum and coursework for each major, and to speak with current students and professors in those majors. You can also take introductory courses in each major to get a better understanding of the subject matter and see which one aligns with your strengths and interests.