Learning MATLAB for Electrical Engineering - Best Book?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter ahmad598
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Matlab
In summary, the best way to learn MATLAB for electrical engineering jobs is to work through problems and utilize the resources provided by Mathworks, including their documentation and books. It is also helpful to watch videos and practice regularly to deepen your understanding of the software.
ahmad598
Hi all,
I'm going to learn MATLAB to use for elec. eng. jobs, but I have 2 questions:
  1. How much should I go deep in learning it?
  2. and which book do you prefer for that?

thanx a lot ;-)

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmad598 said:
Hi all,
I'm going to learn MATLAB to use for elec. eng. jobs, but I have 2 questions:
  1. How much should I go deep in learning it?
  2. and which book do you prefer for that?

thanx a lot ;-)

Welcome to PhysicsForums.

One of the best resources is the documentation that Mathworks (the makers of MATLAB) put out themselves. As for how to "deeply learn", my advice as a non-programmer is to simply learn as much as you can, and work through your problems (that's how MATLABdud became MATLABdude).

There now appear to be various videos at the documentation site:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/learn_matlab/bqr_2pl.html

However, there are books (also put out by the Mathworks) that treat this more rigorously (you can probably buy physical copies at your local bookstore, but you can also download the electronic copies at the Mathworks):
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_product_page2.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is MATLAB and why is it useful for electrical engineering?

MATLAB is a programming language and software environment used for numerical computation, data analysis, and visualization. It is useful for electrical engineering because it allows for efficient and accurate processing of large amounts of data, making it ideal for tasks such as signal processing, control system design, and circuit analysis.

2. How can learning MATLAB benefit my career in electrical engineering?

Learning MATLAB can benefit your career in electrical engineering by expanding your skill set and making you more marketable to potential employers. It can also greatly enhance your productivity and efficiency in completing complex tasks and projects.

3. What are some key features of the best book for learning MATLAB for electrical engineering?

The best book for learning MATLAB for electrical engineering should have clear and concise explanations of key concepts, hands-on exercises and examples, and a focus on practical applications in the field. It should also cover topics such as data visualization, data analysis, and coding best practices.

4. Is prior programming experience necessary to learn MATLAB for electrical engineering?

Prior programming experience is not necessary to learn MATLAB for electrical engineering, but it can be helpful. MATLAB has a user-friendly interface and syntax, making it accessible to beginners. However, some basic knowledge of programming concepts can make the learning process smoother.

5. How can I supplement my learning from a book to master MATLAB for electrical engineering?

In addition to studying from a book, you can supplement your learning by taking online courses, participating in workshops or seminars, and practicing with real-world projects. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced professionals or join online communities dedicated to MATLAB and electrical engineering.