Favorite Metal Bands: Share & Watch Videos

• Thread starter Corkery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing various metal bands and their favorites. Some of the mentioned bands include Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, All that Remains, and Scar Symmetry. The topic shifted to other metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Helloween, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Meshuggah, Opeth, Disillusion, Isis, Agalloch, Judas Priest, Within Temptation, Motorhead, Diamondhead, and Discharge. There was also a mention of other bands that were not necessarily metal, such as Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. The conversation also touched on the dislike of
Corkery
I'm interested in hearing what metal bands you guys like. I like death metal so my favorites are: Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, All that Remains, and Scar Symmetry. List your bands and some vids.
here are mine:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3rfTqmX6f3k This vid is a video of Martin Maurais (kataklysm drummer) and is amongst the best.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFq2YJKYa-k Probably my favorite band! Not to mention a great song for death metal/black metal fans.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UcfLkrDXdn8 Very popular All that Remains song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o2LTaNb9zQQ Very nice dual vocal melodic death metal sound.

Physics news on Phys.org
umm sorry I don't listern to metal, I do like old school rock - acdc, led zeplin, motely crue, def leopard, ram jam that sort of stuff

Corkery said:
I'm interested in hearing what metal bands you guys like. I like death metal so my favorites are: Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, All that Remains, and Scar Symmetry.

Only listened to Amon Amarth and Karaklysm a bit, have them on mp3, but didn't pay any special attention to them.

Man, this is a tough question, there are (and were) tons of these bands out there.

My metal career started out with Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera, Testament, etc. The more extreme bands I liked were Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and a huge number of other ones.

I had a black metal phase too, and there are some outstanding bands/artists in this genre, like Immortal and Burzum.

The only thing I know is the fact that I'm left with ~15 Gb of metal mp3's on my hard drive which I hardly ever listen to anymore.

Iron Maiden is the best, the voice of Bruce can be very comical at times, the songs are catchy, the subjects of the songs are interesting, what more can I say?

Kamelot is probably also between my top-10 bands. In my opinion the Norwegian Roy Khan has the best voice of all Power Metal.

Stratovarius is famous for epic songs and grandiose atmospheric music, possibly also between my top-10 bands

The German band Helloween is very good, I like best the last vocalist Andi Deris, though I think it prevails between fans a preference for former frontman Michael Kiske.

The Finnish band Sonata Arctica delivers very rapid guitars and very rapid vocals, very good.

Special mention too to bands like Edguy, Metallica and Lacuna Coil, the Italian vocalist of the latter is the best female voice in all Heavy metal, IMHO

I'm not really into a lot of metal, but Machine Head and The Haunted are a couple of faves.

pain of salvation, pain of salvation, pain of salvation
though its prog rock, not heavy metal

Scar Symmetry Dual Vocals rock. Dream Theater is my favorite band (progressive metal). I don't like Pantera.

Amon Amarth, Benighted, Hatebreed, Caliban, Six Feet Under. Man there are too many to list.

Corkery said:
I'm interested in hearing what metal bands you guys like.

A couple of my favorites
http://www.hosexpress.com/bandit/banditjrpreformedclamps.jpg

My favourite metal is Meshuggah! And I also love Opeth, Disillusion, Isis and Agalloch.

I despise DT fans!

blackcat said:
My favourite metal is Meshuggah! And I also love Opeth, Disillusion, Isis and Agalloch.

I despise DT fans!

I despise both DT and doom metal fans. :tongue2:

Judas Priest.

Within Temptation.

Also I forgot one of my personal favorites. Jimi hendrix. Not exactly metal but he is awesome. And I would have to say that the lead guitarists in Dream Theatre is one of the best, next to Herman Li from DragonForce

Motorhead.

Motorhead.

Hell YES! Motorhead rules. I don't like the metal with undecipherable vocals and constant drum pounding, I like some of the old metal though like motorhead.

another band that rules is Discharge. Usually they are classified as a hardcore punk band, but many many metal heads like them. If you have heard of metallica you have heard of discharge. The Metallica song "free speech for the dumb" is actually a cover of the Discharge song. Also, when you see the dove impaled on a sword on metallica stuff, that is in reference to Discharge.

Speaking of the brilliant bands behind the Metallica covers, I'll mention the one and only DIAMONDHEAD. :cool:

Why the hell would you despise DT fans?

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
Why the hell would you despise DT fans?

Because most of them are way too fascinated with DT. I was one myself, so I know what I'm talking about. :biggrin:

Most DT fans I've found to be arrogant and extremely obnoxious. For example, in my class I know a few fans who think DT are the best band on the planet because they are technically good musicians. Apparently they listen to DT because of this reason alone, but if you tell them there are plenty of bands with better abled musicians they don't care or can't handle it.

And they like to bring up stupid comparisons such as when discussing PT or Tool, they say "but they're not as good as DT though," which makes no sense. How can you compare these bands?

And generally they have terrible and narrow tastes in music. Just crappy prog rock. And they don't even like King Crimson!

blackcat said:
Most DT fans I've found to be arrogant and extremely obnoxious. For example, in my class I know a few fans who think DT are the best band on the planet because they are technically good musicians. Apparently they listen to DT because of this reason alone, but if you tell them there are plenty of bands with better abled musicians they don't care or can't handle it.

And they like to bring up stupid comparisons such as when discussing PT or Tool, they say "but they're not as good as DT though," which makes no sense. How can you compare these bands?

And generally they have terrible and narrow tastes in music. Just crappy prog rock. And they don't even like King Crimson!

I agree on this one.

Here, turbo-1 used to convince me about some related things: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130401&page=21&highlight=best+songs+ever"

Last edited by a moderator:
blackcat said:
For example, in my class I know a few fans who think DT are the best band on the planet because they are technically good musicians. Apparently they listen to DT because of this reason alone,

So? They like technicality more then other stuff.

but if you tell them there are plenty of bands with better abled musicians they don't care or can't handle it.

Or they like them too, just not as much as DT, or they disagree with your perception of other musicians as being 'better'.

Those people are just retards.

And generally they have terrible and narrow tastes in music. Just crappy prog rock.

See above

And they don't even like King Crimson!

So what if they don't like them?Edit: Also, Blackcat is an awesome anime, assuming that's what your name refers too. Although I hate how he changes so much, and when he does change he runs like 1/4 as fast as he usually does and he gets angry all the time.

Last edited:
Corkery said:
Also I forgot one of my personal favorites. Jimi hendrix. Not exactly metal but he is awesome. And I would have to say that the lead guitarists in Dream Theatre is one of the best, next to Herman Li from DragonForce

Take that back now! ;)

Nah, DragonForce are SUPREMELY good technically, but have to be the world's worst musicians. There is 0 feeling in what they do and because every song is so damn fast it just gets extremely tedious. Absolutely can't stand that band at all.

Robert Fripp of King Crimson has to be one of the gods of guitar...truely amazing guitarist.

As for my favourite death metal bands:
Meshuggah, Death, Entombed (used to be classed as death metal), Red Harvest, Textures, Opeth, Orphaned Land, Darkane and Scarve.

As far as melodic death metal bands go, these are some of my favourites:
Mnemic, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Edge of Sanity, In Flames, Disarmonia Mundi, The Agony Scene and Dark Tranquillity

Then Strapping Young Lad is just in a league of its own. By far my favourite heavy metal band.

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
So? They like technicality more then other stuff.

Or they like them too, just not as much as DT, or they disagree with your perception of other musicians as being 'better'.

Those people are just retards.

See above

So what if they don't like them?

Edit: Also, Blackcat is an awesome anime, assuming that's what your name refers too. Although I hate how he changes so much, and when he does change he runs like 1/4 as fast as he usually does and he gets angry all the time.

It's just them asserting all the time that they listen to music because they're impressed by technical playing alone (in that case, why are they listening to DT?) which is annoying. Obviously if you enjoy technical music that's fine, but bringing it up at every point when discussing music is stupid (would you bring it up when talking about a pop band?) And they also compare these things endlessly, who in their right mind would compare jazz to prog metal? Why bother, they serve different moods.

And no I don't watch anime!

Cool bands big man. Although I haven't heard Scar Symmetry yet I've heard they're good. PS: I hate SYL!

Ivan Seeking said:
A couple of my favorites
http://www.hosexpress.com/bandit/banditjrpreformedclamps.jpg
Ivan, that reminds me of an old Emo Philips story:
"I said hey, sweet thing, want to come back to my place?" and she said "Do you have cable?" and I said "No, but the ropes should hold you." :rofl:

blackcat said:
And no I don't watch anime!

Darn, Blackcat is a good anime :P.

Although I haven't heard Scar Symmetry yet I've heard they're good.

Dual Vocals are great.

http://www.myspace.com/scarsymmetry

Listen to The Illusionist.

I like some of their other songs better, but Illusionist is probably the best one they have on their myspace.

rhuthwaite said:
umm sorry I don't listern to metal, I do like old school rock - acdc, led zeplin, motely crue, def leopard, ram jam that sort of stuff
Same here - I'm all about old-school hard rock, but nothing harder than Metallica and even then only in small doses.

lol Dragonforce=the best worst musicians in the world. they are very skilled, but too bad their music sucks.

turbo-1 said:
Ivan, that reminds me of an old Emo Philips story:
"I said hey, sweet thing, want to come back to my place?" and she said "Do you have cable?" and I said "No, but the ropes should hold you." :rofl:

You took a perfectly innocent pun and made something perverted and depraved out of it. I like that.

blackcat said:
I despise DT fans!

Do you? Oh dear, I LOVE Dream Theater. :grumpy: And Tool.

Forget about technical artistry or whatever, some of DT's stuff is just hauntingly good.

True that :-).

Thanks I'll listen to SS later.

And yeah DT have some great songs. Such as Learning to Live, Blind Faith, Goodnight Kiss (awesome solo in that one), In the Name of God. A lot of their early stuff is my favourite.

This thread is old but no matter...

My favorite bands in the metal category are,

Heavy:
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Hammerfall
Dragonforce (when you listen to them enough you start to differentiate the movements sort of like how classicla may seem all the same the first time you hear it and the same goes for death metal)

Thrash:
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth

Death:
Massacra
Immolation (vehemently antichristian)
Deicide (also antichristian but tonally different)
Newer Cannibal Corpse (from vile upwards the technicality blows me away not just bc they are skilled though but bc it adds a new level of intensity that is both amazingly invigorating and also helps me think faster during study sessions)
Necrophaghist
Decapitated
Vital Remains (Amazing demonstration of technical solos combined with brutal riffage)
Possessed (death metal originators possibly)
Morbid Angel

Black:
Mayhem
Marduk
Darkthrone
Burzum has some great riffs and vocals but he is not a cool dude as far as his morals go
Nargaroth
Dark Funeral

I like a lot of Viking metal, but having just got into it, I can't name any names...
System of a Down is great, and Serj is a badass.