Best methods of seaching the web

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
Searching for the question can work, but since you're really looking for the answer, try searching for that instead.

Here's what I mean. Suppose you search for, "Where is the oldest cedar?" you'll get some results and you can probably find the information with a bit of clicking. But if you search for "The oldest cedar tree" you'll get results straight away.
You are right :biggrin:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=31bd50ee20ddd9f2

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=31bd50ee20ddd9f2

If you put a question google will likely provide things like yahoo answers!

Containment
Errr I generally don't type the question mark sorry if I made it seem like I did. At any rate I got basically the same results for where is the oldest cedar tree and oldest cedar tree. While your right it might be better to do it that way most the time I find it's faster to just type what i'm thinking in there. One thing I noticed is you used quotes on that search I have almost never found doing that to be effective.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
They exist because they make money. Take away the money and they won't exist. Cough up the money if you REALLY want it.
It doesn't quite work like that. Authors and libraries are really the main support of the journals (authors pay a much more significant fee than $40 to have their work published... or should I say you and I pay for it with taxes that become grants... but that's fine with me, and how it should be in my opinion).

There's a open access movement among librarians already (in fact, they're the ones that promote it to the local scientists here) who are the key customers to journals.

It's actually the authors responsibility to make sure his papers are easily available. Open access puiblishing been shown to greatly increase a factor called "Research impact" in integer-folds. So it's actually going to be a losing battle to be a stingy publishing company. Authors want research impact.

Of course, if you nearly have a monopoly on the field (APA, for example) there's little competition to motivate fairer prices for the readers so you can hold out longer (as they have).

It doesn't quite work like that. Authors and libraries are really the main support of the journals (authors pay a much more significant fee than $40 to have their work published... or should I say you and I pay for it with taxes that become grants... but that's fine with me, and how it should be in my opinion).

There's a open access movement among librarians already (in fact, they're the ones that promote it to the local scientists here) who are the key customers to journals.

It's actually the authors responsibility to make sure his papers are easily available. Open access puiblishing been shown to greatly increase a factor called "Research impact" in integer-folds. So it's actually going to be a losing battle to be a stingy publishing company. Authors want research impact.

Of course, if you nearly have a monopoly on the field (APA, for example) there's little competition to motivate fairer prices for the readers so you can hold out longer (as they have).
It's that mix of concern that this shouldn't be left to become defunct, and on the other hand a lack of market pressure that can be exerted, or WILL be exerted. To me, that has always spelled on thing when information in a digital format is on the line: A grey-> black market... for example:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376786,00.asp

I find that rather troubling, because the idea that behaviour that is survivable on a local level with effort, can be generalized to what amounts to a hemi-napster for books... ugh. That business wouldn't even EXIST if the pressure from piracy of ebooks and print books had not become so incredibly wide-spread.

Oh, and who gets hurt here?... The publishers, but they can probably manage to get hooks in at some point. The author, who won't even see increases in sales due to WEAR... is <insert your least favorite and most upsetting curse>.

What kind of information are you looking for?
Usually stuff on physics or historical articles out of old newspapers.
I was simple enough to believe that progress of knowledge would benefit from open information sharing.... sometimes I could get a google copy but often I am left with a synopsis teasing me. I plan to get familiar with a few libraries which have subscribed to relevant journals but I work across several disciplines and I usually have to read things before I can tell if they will be useful.
Old news is hard because a lot is on a list waiting to be digitised and then it is in the form of a jpeg which cannot be searched beyond the title.