What Was the Best Movie of 2002 According to Critics and Box Office Numbers?

• Thread starter Nicool003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation discusses the top grossing and critically acclaimed movies of 2002 and the varying opinions on them. Some participants express their dislike for the movies and question their popularity, while others defend their enjoyment of them. The top contenders for best movie are Spiderman, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Austin Powers in Goldmember. Personal taste is acknowledged as a factor in determining the best movie. Some mention of missing scenes and differences from the books are also mentioned.

Which was the best movie of 2002?

• Spiderman

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding

• Signs

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Austin Powers in: Goldmember

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Men In Black II

• Total voters
Nicool003
These movies made the most money and got some of the best reviews of 2002. Which was your favorite?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoL, they all pretty much sucked imo. Some of those movies didn't get much good reviews over at imdb.com either btw. As well as some of them got horrible reviews with the critics here in norway.

And when did only fantastical movies get to be the best movies?

Last edited:
Originally posted by pace
LoL, they all pretty much sucked imo. Some of those movies didn't get much good reviews over at imdb.com either btw. As well as some of them got horrible reviews with the critics here in norway.

And when did only fantastical movies get to be the best movies?

I never listen to reviewers- they're all mostly idiots- for instance they said chicago was a great movie :P

I go by my own judgement and word of mouth

Toss up between Star wars and LOTR

Originally posted by Zantra
for instance they said chicago was a great movie :P

Chicago WAS a cool movie

Chicago WAS a cool movie

I hate musicals

Well Chicago wasn't 2002. And that is most definately not a movie I would see. These movies are the 8 highest moneymaking movies of 2002...and personally I think at least 4 are good.

ahhhhhh! donnie darko all the way!

Chicago WAS a cool movie

Richard Gere was there. that riuned all the movie...

I said LOTR: TTT altough the end was a bit of soap opera and the king of Rohan was more fond of philosophical questions when he sould just kick some orc a**

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Richard Gere was there. that riuned all the movie...

I said LOTR: TTT altough the end was a bit of soap opera and the king of Rohan was more fond of philosophical questions when he sould just kick some orc a**

The movie lacked far too much philosophical issues like it is in the book. The problem is that in the film, of the little they put it, it's not done very well

Without a doubt, Spiderman was the best of all these movies. Most of these movies sucked ass, especially the Star Wars flick.

Without a doubt, Spiderman was the best of all these movies. Most of these movies sucked ass, especially the Star Wars flick.

Star wars was awesome! Not as good as one or tow of the others but still awesome. And you guys shouldn't say these movies suck because in a way you determined them. THese are the most money making movies of 2002. Either your taste sucks or you aren't one of the many that contributed to spidermans over 400,000,000, and Star Wars and LOTR over 300,000,000! I mean seriously come on, are you saying all those people are wrong? I didn't really go by reviews, you can check some websites and you'll see that those are the 8 top moneymaking movies, in order (spiderman most MIB II least) I only checked reviews to see how well they did. Personally I agree reviews can't be trusted but a lot of people seem to think they do.

I have to say LOTR was the best movie. I say this because allthough i personally felt the last star wars was one of the best (ok,ok- it's mostly that scene where yoda's kickin butt), But Lord of the Rings appealed to a wider audience I think- The star wars freaks will fight that statement to the death, but I think its true.

Personal taste will vary- If you're not into sci-fi or fantasy flicks,then it won't hold true for you. I was stunned at how many people who went to see LOTR never read the books- for me that just added to the experience. Was sort of disappointed that they did cut out several key scenes, such as Tom bombadil, but overall a great translation to screen

Star wars was good, The best one was Spiderman

harry potter

Harry potter was teh best out of all those, i am a fan of austin powers, but how much of the same jokes can you take? in my oppinion the third movie was garbage, but that's just me. Harry potter on the other hand had a fresh story for the sequel and it proved to be just as good as the first, i personally can't wait until they make another movie. :)

Please visit this site:
http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1354404

Probably TTT just ahead of Goldmember (it's my type of humour :smile:). All the rest were average or bad.

I actually preferred FoTR to TTT, but 2002 was such a bad movie year (as the last few have been) that The Two Towers didn't have much competition.

Harry potter was teh best out of all those, i am a fan of austin powers, but how much of the same jokes can you take? in my oppinion the third movie was garbage, but that's just me. Harry potter on the other hand had a fresh story for the sequel and it proved to be just as good as the first, i personally can't wait until they make another movie. :)

If yuo thought Harry Potter was the best, then why didn't you vote for it? It has 0% on the poll...

1. What was the highest grossing movie of 2002?

The highest grossing movie of 2002 was "Spider-Man" with a total box office revenue of $403.7 million.

2. Which movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2002?

The Academy Award for Best Picture in 2002 was won by "Chicago".

3. What was the most critically acclaimed movie of 2002?

The most critically acclaimed movie of 2002 was "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" with a 96% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

4. Which actors/actresses received the most awards for their performances in 2002 movies?

Nicole Kidman and Adrien Brody received the most awards for their performances in 2002 movies. Kidman won Best Actress for "The Hours" at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and BAFTA Awards, while Brody won Best Actor for "The Pianist" at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and César Awards.

5. What was the most popular genre for movies released in 2002?

The most popular genre for movies released in 2002 was drama, with a total of 19 films in the top 100 highest grossing movies of the year.