Best Movie Scenes: The Classics

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation discusses some of the best movie scenes of all time. Some of the mentioned favorites include the lifeguard scene in The Sandlot, the car scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and the Young Guns ending. Other notable scenes mentioned include the death star battle in Return of the Jedi, various scenes from Reservoir Dogs, and the sex scenes from The Naked Gun movies. The conversation also includes some unexpected and memorable scenes such as the wedding scene in The Graduate and the Last March of the Ents scene in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
photon
lets talk the best movie scenes of all time. here's a few of my favorites:

-The Sandlot: the scene where the kid with the glasses trys to put the moves of the lifeguard.

-Ferris Buelers day off: The scene at the end of the movie where cameron's dad's sweet car is up on the jacks, and he starts kicking it until it comes off the jacks and rolls out the back window.

Young Guns: at the end of the movie when billy the kid and his gang are trapped in that house because the authorities have finally caught them and they're trying to flush em out. They put billy the kid in a box and chuck it out the window. For a minute everyones confused, then he jumps out of the box and starts mowin' everybody down.

Physics news on Phys.org
-How To Kill A Mockingbird: The Mockingbird emerges from a full frontal attack unscathed. Worse, it has mutated and grown a second head.

When the Hal 9000 computer sings itself into oblivion.

Havent seen many movies, but the car chase in matrix reloaded is absolutely heart pounding.

Apocalypse Now - Captain Willard rising out of the river, covered in mud, mist rising everywhere, to embark toward Kurtz's chamber to kill him. He carves up Kurtz with his hunting knife as the men outside hack the head off of a bull. The scene is made all the better by the cryptic notes of Robbie Krieger's guitar slowly playing The End beneath Jim Morrison's howling Oedipal screams. Best scene in all of film, if you ask me.

-- the fight scene between HI & the apocalypse man in raising arizona
-- the fight scene in "a fistful of yen" (movie inside a movie) from kentucky fried movie
-- "catholic high school girls in trouble" also from kentucky fried movie
-- the death star battle in return of the jedi, especially the shot of the millenium falcon, wedge's x-wing, a y-wing & an a-wing charging towards all the star destroyers by themselves, with the millenium falcon leading the way
-- many scenes in reservoir dogs, like at the beginning where the guys are talking about like a virgin, why mr pink has to be mr pink, what to do if anyone gives you static while holding up a jewelry store... i could go on & on
-- the sex scenes from the naked gun movies :rofl:

Many scenes from Tarkovsky's films. I hope there are some Russians here who know what I'm talking about.

Final scenes of the "Audition".

Excalibur: When the young would-be king is being knighted in the water after just fending off a seige: At the blade of Excalibur, Author demands of Youreins, "yield sir!". Youriens shouts back, "a noble knight yield to a squire, never!". Author puts down the blade and acknowledges, "you're right, I'm not a knight but you sir shall knight me". Author gives Excalibur to his foe. Someone in the background shouts, "keep it Youreins". He hesitates but then senses the power of the sword of Kings and begins to yield: Placing the blade on either shoulder of Author, he proclaims, "By the powers of St. George and St. Michael, I give you the rights to bear arms . . . rise . . . King Author" :smile:

Last edited:
I believe it was True Grit when the Duke was up against 3 horsemen after they hurt the girl and kill Glen Campbells char when, before he took the horses reins in his mouth, he exclaimed, "fill your hands you son-of-a-BBBBB!" and then of course charged and killed all the bad guys.

Outlaw Josey Wales when the tonic salesman says that he couldn't kill all of the ferry riders before they get to this side and JW says "out here we got somethin' called a Missouri Boatride" and then shoots the ferry cable/rope and the bad guys go downstream.

The Quiet man- When he's dragging Maureen O'hara back to her brother by the scruff of her neck a lady comes running up and says "here's a good stick to beat the nice lady with".

Ditto on the Apocolypse Now scene. I might add that I cannot hear the song Susie Q without thinking of sexy girls climbing out of helicopters.

The Bird Cage

Albert: Don't give me that tone!
Armand: What tone?
Albert: That sly contemptuous tone that means you know everything because you're a man, and I know nothing because I'm a woman.
Armand: You're not a woman.
Albert: Oh, you bastard!

Field of Dreams
Ray Kinsella: "This is my corn. You people are guests in my corn."

Old Yeller
Jim Coates: Now and then, for no good reason, life will haul off and knock a man flat.

I was never taken by surprise by a film quite as much as when Indiana Jones pulled his pistol out and shot the sword guy.

Ali - when Will Smith listens to malcolm x's speech

When they kill Kenny...

WarGames: Main character David using a tape recorder to break out of a room at Cheyenne Mountain Complex secured with a keypad electronic security lock.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I was never taken by surprise by a film quite as much as when Indiana Jones pulled his pistol out and shot the sword guy.
Harrison Ford later said that that shot was a blooper. He was supposed to take out his whip but fumbled it and got frustrated that he blew the shot.

Saving Private Ryan: The first 30min are just awesome...
BraveHeart: The last few scenes...
These two were the best. The "Neo vs Loads of Agents Smiths" scene from Matrix reloaded wasnt bad either.

Other memorables:

The Graduate - The whole wedding scene when Benjamin runs to ceremony and screams for Elaine to stop, especially when he rips the cross off the wall and puts it into the door handle to lock the patrons inside the chapel. Even better than Mrs. Robinson's seduction earlier in the movie, if you ask me.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The whole Last March of the Ents scene. It is said that Tolkein was terribly grieved by the effects of the industrial revolution on the small farming village he grew up in. Watching the trees come alive and destroy the machines that would destroy the forest is great.

Requiem for a Dream - Who can forget Marion giving in and performing in the orgy party for a fix?

The Empire Strikes Back - As Han is being encased in carbonite:

Leia: I love you.
Han: I know.

What a pimp.

Once Upon a Time in the West - The end of the opening scene when Harmonica comes off of the train playing his song and confronts the three scoundrels.

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?
Scoundrel: Looks like we're a horse shot.
Harmonica: You brought two too many.

Then he shoots and kills all three scoundrels.

The Godfather Part II - The closing scene where Michael is sitting in the lawn chair remembering a birthday party, with all of his brothers and parents still alive and happy. In all of his youthful idealism he announces to them that he is going off to fight in the war, a war that he returns from as a decorated hero. As he is remembering this, he is having his brother Fredo killed, completing his simultaneous rise to power and fall to darkness.

Revenge of the Sith - The intercut at the end with Padme giving birth and Anakin receiving his cybernetic coat of armor. Padme draws her last breath, insisting there is still good in him, as the helmeted Darth Vader draws his first breath. The rise of the completed cyborg, in that Frankenstein-like medical room, with Qui Gonn's funeral dirge playing (incidentally, Qui Gonn's funeral was where Anakin and Palpatine first met), is quite memorable. Heck, we've been waiting to see that for over twenty years, all of my life.

Dr. Strangelove - The war council scene where the doctor cannot control the tic in his arm, which keeps trying to shoot into a heil Hitler pose.

Chinatown - The ending where the whole incest thing is revealed. Jesus, that's weird, and very well-acted.

ET - Come on, who doesn't love the bicycle lifting off for flight? It's hackneyed at this point, but only because it was so memorable as to be endlessly copied and parodied.

The Matrix - When Neo and Trinity raid the military building to free Morpheus. It's a little diminished by its association with the trenchcoat mafia, but even so, the scene is absolutely dazzling.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I love the part when Donovan has just finished dissolving and the last knight of the round table says "he chose poorly."

All Quiet on the Western Front - The end scene, when Paul is sitting in the trench during the de facto cease fire after all of his schoolmates have been killed. He stands up to reach for a butterfly and is shot. Every single primary character introduced in the film has been killed off and the film ends.

This is Spinal Tap - I think this may have been a deleted scene, but they're at the zoo and Derek Smalls is commenting on gorillas: "As a race, gorillas like all kinds of bread, yet they've never developed any baking skills." Every scene in this film is hilarious.

Platoon - Elias' death scene is one of the best ever.

A Clockwork Orange - That scene with the giant dildo is unforgettable.

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
Other memorables: ...

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The whole Last March of the Ents scene. It is said that Tolkein was terribly grieved by the effects of the industrial revolution on the small farming village he grew up in. Watching the trees come alive and destroy the machines that would destroy the forest is great.

I liked it better in the book when the Ents decided to goto war and were not tricked into it. Other than that all three movies were great, and to add to the ent march The battle at helms deep, and all of the battles in the third movie.

Dr. Strangelove, or how I stopped worrying and love the bomb: The scene of Col. Kangs demise riding backwards on a nuke, Waaaaa Hoooooo!

all the lightsaber fights in the new star wars, especially the yoda ones of course. woot they are so cool

Blues Brothers
I love this movie, there's so much:

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarattes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Police Chief: Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved.

Everything from this point on, the unbelievable car chase, the swat teams and the army... I love it.

the end of training day where danzel's character is surrounded and it looks like he's just about to get killed. "king kong aint got nothin ohn me!". best piece of acting i think iv ever seen.

There are tonnes of them, but I have time for only a couple right now. One is in 'Funny Car Summer'. A couple of kids in a hopped-up Camaro or similar car are sitting at a red light on a deserted street acting all invincible. The car starts to shake a bit, the kids are looking sideways at each other trying to figure out where the rumbling is coming from, and a freshly-stolen AA funny car stages on the the street beside them. Light goes green, the funny car is a couple of blocks away 3 seconds later, and the kids are so astounded that they forget to drive off.

And as much as the movie itself sucked in most regards, there's a priceless scene in 'The Final Countdown', where a couple of F-14's tuck their wings in, go onto afterburner, and buzz 2 Zeros on the way to strafe a liferaft. You have to wonder what would go through the mind of a pilot who's flying the fastest and most sophisticated aeroplane on the planet and something rips past so fast that he can't see it.

As you can see, speed-related issues rank high with me. But yeah, the 'Indy shooting the swordsman' scene was hilarious.

I haven't seen many movies
and it shows:

Mattius_ said:
the car chase in matrix reloaded is absolutely heart pounding.

Its got to be the scene in xmas vacation where chevy chase slides down the hill super fast on that thing tht resembled a trash can lid! That was pure genius.

Pulp Fiction: Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in the appartement. I used to know Jules monologue by heart, let's see if I still got it..

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tirany of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, sheperds the weak through the valey of darkness, for he is truly is brother's keeper and the finder of lost childre. And I will strike upon thee with great vengence and furious anger he who poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon you." bam. :approve:

It'll probably be pretty easy to detect a recurring theme throughout some of my favorite movie moments.

Contact - Jodie Foster's character is shot through a strange spacetime wormhole kind of thing by an alien-specified device and experiences Awe. "There are no words... should have sent a poet..." Maybe the dialogue is a little corny, but Foster does a great acting job here of portraying the emotion of awe in the face of such an awesome experience.

The Matrix - Neo engages Morpheus in combat in a virtual reality dojo. Although Neo, strictly speaking, has an abstract understanding that his environment is not 'real,' he is engulfed in the vivid perceptual illusion and has difficulty really believing that what he's experiencing is just a simulation. After Morpheus whoops on him a little, he leans into really drive the point home: "You think that's air you're breathing?"

The thing I really like about this scene is that the audience's situation mirrors Neo's. The audience knows that the dojo environment is just a computer simulation, but it's presented with such straightforward, vivid 'reality' that it's easy to fall into default perceptual assumptions that it is in fact a 'real' place. Morpheus's reminder thus presents something of an "a-ha" moment to the audience as well as Neo.

Waking Life - Wiley Wiggins' character is talking to a leather jacket clad, biker-looking guy about lucid dreams while a soft banjo melody plays in the background. The biker-looking guy mentions that one indicator that one is experiencing a lucid dream world is that light switches typically don't work in dreams. As a lark, Wiggins' character flips the light switch before leaving the room, only to find that it doesn't work. The biker guy smiles and shrugs as Wiggins begins to drift away.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Since loseyourname reminded me of it in the 'bad movies' thread. I really love the scenes where the memory-erasing device causes Jim Carrey's character to take a systematic walk through his memories, reliving them as if they were real. The catch is that the 'memory world' works on its own internal logic, ensuring that whatever happens is consistent with the salient features of the original memory.

For instance, Carrey relives a memory where he sees the back of the head of a new suitor for his former girlfriend. He tries to turn around the mystery man to confront him, only to find that the man's back is the same as his front-- no matter what he does, he can only see the back. Another great scene like this involves Carrey's memory of his girlfriend walking away from him in a huff down a rainy street at night. While reliving it, he tries to change the memory by running after her. However, in a weird Escher-esque twist, whatever side of the street he runs down winds up being the side away from which his girlfriend is walking.

Airplane:

Roger Murdock: We have clearance Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
Control Tower: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur! Oveur.
Control Tower: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Control Tower: Roger, over.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Captain Oveur: Huh?

Easily amused. :smile:

Barberella in the orgasmatron, i think.

wolram said:

Ooohh, good one!

brewnog said:
Ooohh, good one!

I don't watch many films, this is the only one i remember.

wolram said:
what is an orgasmatron ?

marlon

marlon said:
what is an orgasmatron ?

marlon

I can not remember all the film, the," orgasmatron", was a machine that
killed women with pleasure. but barberella broke it.
:biggrin:

No, no, the best part of The Empire Strikes Back:
LEIA: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee.
HAN: I can arrange that.
:cool: He's such an adorable jacka**.

The firing squad scene in Paths of Glory. I've never met anyone who's seen this movie - if you haven't seen it, SEE IT NOW! French soldiers in WWI retreat (without being ordered to do so) during a mission everyone knew was impossible, and a few are selected to be prosecuted for cowardice.

Last edited:
Ali - when Will Smith/Muhammad Ali goes to Africa for the first time with Salif Keita's song Papa in the background, very sentimental moment...