Best music to listen to while doing Physics?

In summary, Vivaldi, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle,Tool, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, Frank Sinatra are some of the artists that the author likes. They also mentioned that they like to listen to music whenever they want, not just while doing physics or math.
thecolor11
Anybody have any favorites?

I like to listen to some classical or classic rock.

Vivaldi - Four Seasons, Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Beethoven - 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, Bach - Well Tempered Clavier

Led, Who, Kansas, CCR, Bob Seger, Eagles

Science news on Phys.org
I like most of the pieces/artists you listed, but if I was listening to them, I wouldn't get any physics done...that's as far as theoretical stuff goes.

However, I play classic rock in the lab all day, except when there's measurements happening or if I'm doing some tricky soldering, or some such.

thecolor11 said:

Vivaldi - Four Seasons, Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Beethoven - 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, Bach - Well Tempered Clavier

Why isn't there 6th before 7th... disc of Beethoven ?
I don't do phy6s exercises when listening to mu6. :redface:

I can't think when listening to music i enjoy, i tend to start singing along and imagining I'm slash or axl or mick or keith. Oops there i go again.

"The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas" by They Might Be Giants.

Well, I have 1,600 albums, so it's practically a monumental task for me to pick music for any ocassion. So I often just hit the random button and hope.

- Warren

Learning Physics, I prefer silence or soft classical music playing in the background.

Working on homework is a different story and it depends on the subject.

Modern Physics - Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails

Electromagnetism - Wille Dixon, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors,

Quantum Mechanics - Tool, A Perfect Circle, James Brown, Led Zeppelin

Evidently it turns out I'm way more angry working on Modern Physics than I am working on E-Mag or Q. Mech.

Pretty much all of my music collection are love songs. I listen to them whenever, not just while doing physics or math. I've found myself listening to Frank Sinatra a lot, however.

I think that Kraftwerk is a good choice

thecolor11 said:

There is nothing as good as your own compositions. I am currently experimenting with the fusion of Classical Music, Jazz and Pop music. The compositions are raw and meaty. I just think of space while at it!

Motifs said:
Why isn't there 6th before 7th... disc of Beethoven ?
I don't do phy6s exercises when listening to mu6. :redface:

I just prefer Beethoven's other stuff to the sixth.

chroot said:
Well, I have 1,600 albums, so it's practically a monumental task for me to pick music for any ocassion. So I often just hit the random button and hope.

- Warren

That really made me laugh out loud! ("LOL" just doesn't do it justice). I only have between 150 to 200 CDs and can't even decide from those. I've been slowly loading some onto iTunes, and then I hit random. But, if I'm really lost in thought, I won't even notice if the same song has been repeating for hours. But, my best thinking happens with Ozzy, Dio, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, The Eurythmics and Clint Black...those seem to wind up on the usual rotation and I think it's mostly a conditioned response. Recently, I've added Godsmack to the list...there's something hypnotizing about their music. Oh, and can't forget Trace Adkins ("This ain't no thinkin' thing.")

But, then, I wouldn't want to be too predictable, so once in a while, I get inspired by something different...Eric Clapton, Smashmouth, Harry Connick, Jr., R.E.M., Billy Joel, or Paula Abdul. Or, I might go with B-52s, Indigo Girls, and The Cars.

Oh, see, I started out telling you I can never decide. Once I went through all my CDs alphabetically just to listen to all of them.

Roxy Music - The Thrill of it All (Box Set)
Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
Hildegard von Bingen - Canticles of Ecstacy
Rush - 2112
Kantner, Slick & Frieberg - Across the Board
John Coltrane - Equinox
Laurie Anderson - O Superman
Nick Drake - River Man
John Abercrombie - Timeless
The Who - Eminence Front, 5.15, Love Reign O'er Me, Going Mobile
DEVO - Girl U Want
Jimmy Hendrix - Angel
ZZ Top - Tube Snake Boogie
Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs 1971-1986
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper, Astronomy
Calchakis - Flutes des Terres Incas
Derek And The Dominoes - Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad
Eric Clapton - Layla (unplugged)

Personally I can't get any work done while listening to any music that has lyrics. Light classical music works well for me, but really I prefer as little noise as possible. Even the clock's ticking can annoy me at times.

Still, for anyone interested, try Coldplay - The Scientist

I envy those that have the focus to do their work and research while listening to music and watching television.

I just can't do it. I don't even listen to music when I type replies. I have to be able to hear my thoughts, and I can't with noise in the background.

I wish I could tough. And if I could, 90's Rap would be what I'd listen to.

For Maths: Baroque
For Science: Classical
For other work: Romantic

But I also listen to a varity of artists that I have music for (e.g. Muse and Aerosmith).

The only song I can't work to is Aerosmith - I don't want to miss a thing because it has too much meaning to me to work to and I just have to listen to it and sing alone with it. There are a few more songs but I can't work to them because there are rubbish.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I work on physics and engineering to Classical or New Age music.

I can work to some songs with words but they have to be songs that I am very used to, such as Pink Floyd's "Us and Them," or Richard Mark's "Hold On To The Night." Nothing too obtrusive. If I am trying to write something, I can't have words in the music, only instrumentals.

Bach for anything that requires thought, insight, or a deeper focus (basically nothing I've done in school yet, for example: Fourier Analysis, Tensor Calculus, Quatnum Mechanics, General Relativity), almost always the 3rd Brandenburg Concerto, though i do listen to Saint Matthew's Passion, and the other Brandenburg Concerto's occasionally, i just like the third concerto the best, its the most upbeat and lively, keeps my mind moving, and thinking in a similar pattern, its the only one with only allegro movements.

When doing actual assigned work from my physics, math, or whatever classes its Barenaked Ladies all the way (with the tv on in the background, most likely tuned either to HBO or FX (NIp/Tuck Season Finale of course)).

Thanks for the tips! :D

franznietzsche said:
I just like the third concerto the best
My favourite of the Brandenburg Concerti. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
My favourite of the Brandenburg Concerti. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Its great, isn't it?

franznietzsche said:
Its great, isn't it?
It is the best. I do like the fifth as well but the Harpischord bit in the middle is slightly too long for my liking so I prefer the Third.

The Bob (2004 ©)

When I was an undergraduate in astrophysics, I used to think I could listen to music while I studied. I remember Joy Division was a favorite at the time. I realize now why I never went into graduate school. My grades were not as good as they could have been if my thoughts weren't so continuously interupted by such emotional music.

If you are studying, turn it off.

Chi Meson said:
When I was an undergraduate in astrophysics, I used to think I could listen to music while I studied. I remember Joy Division was a favorite at the time. I realize now why I never went into graduate school. My grades were not as good as they could have been if my thoughts weren't so continuously interupted by such emotional music.

If you are studying, turn it off.
That's just you. I get more easily distracted in complete silence, since my thoughts have room to wander. If my ears are being filled with noise I can study better.

I just listen to whatever, since I "tune out" the music. Without music, I have nothing to tune out so to speak.

deltabourne said:
That's just you. I get more easily distracted in complete silence, since my thoughts have room to wander. If my ears are being filled with noise I can study better.

I just listen to whatever, since I "tune out" the music. Without music, I have nothing to tune out so to speak.

If you listen to catchy tunes, its pretty hard to concentrate.

I've listened to music a day before a test or something, and the beat just gets stuck in my head.

Especially Michael Jackson songs. They're just so damn catchy!

The beat and lyrics from "Billie Jean" are still stuck in my head:

She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene
I said don't mind, but what do you mean I am the one
Who will dance on the floor in the round
She said I am the one, who will dance on the floor in the round

:mad:

franznietzsche said:
3rd Brandenburg Concerto ... i just like the third concerto the best, its the most upbeat and lively, keeps my mind moving, and thinking in a similar pattern, its the only one with only allegro movements.

Agreed. Seems that the 3rd concerto is a favorite among PFers. That song is in constant motion and has some of the best countermelodies and melodic sequencing.

deltabourne said:

Actually, you are right. Complete silence is maddening. It's amazing the noises a house can make when everything is quiet. I never didi try some of that "background music" stuff (waste of money). I have had since 1992 a favorite fan that produces just the right level of white noise (It's a Bionair air purifier actually).

For a while I leved close enough to the freeway so that there was plenty of background noise, absolutely free. I suppose ocean waves would be better, but, the little detail there is somhow buying a house by the ocean. I'm working on that.

motai said:
Agreed. Seems that the 3rd concerto is a favorite among PFers. That song is in constant motion and has some of the best countermelodies and melodic sequencing.

The biggie is that both the movements are allegro, as i said earlier it keeps my mind moving in a similar fashion, that is to say quickly. I also like the first movement of the fourth, similar tempo and feel to it, i don't even usually notice when it switches from the third to the fourth.

To Chi: I've never had any problem with it. I even have the tv on too sometimes (its behind me). I think the problem is the kind of music you listen to. When i really need to focus i listen to bach, it has no lyrics, its fairly easy to tune out when necessary, and keeps my mind from wondering too far. If i lsiten to rock or anything more "popular" i can get distracted, but i usually just wind up tuning it out anyway. Years of practice from having 3 younger siblings i guess.

but, the little detail there is somhow buying a house by the ocean. I'm working on that.

Come on over to UCSB; I'm currently hearing the waves crash on my beach, the sound intermingling with the seagulls and the cool breeze blowing through my hair. :approve:

Chi Meson said:
The little detail there is somhow buying a house by the ocean. I'm working on that.

Not too close to the ocean, I hope. I mean, like, right on the beach. That's a big no-no.

Gza said:
Come on over to UCSB; I'm currently hearing the waves crash on my beach, the sound intermingling with the seagulls and the cool breeze blowing through my hair. :approve:

At CalPoly all i hear is that stupid train...

Chrono said:
Not too close to the ocean, I hope. I mean, like, right on the beach. That's a big no-no.

Yeah, you know it's funny you should say that. I once built, like, this castle on the beach, and you know, the next day it was, like, gone!

White noise (for some reason). Although I suppose that can't be classed as music.

<h2>1. What type of music is best to listen to while doing Physics?</h2><p>The type of music that is best to listen to while doing Physics is instrumental or classical music. This type of music has been shown to improve focus and concentration, making it easier to solve complex problems and understand difficult concepts.</p><h2>2. Is it better to listen to music with or without lyrics?</h2><p>It is generally better to listen to music without lyrics while doing Physics. Lyrics can be distracting and make it harder to focus on the task at hand. Instrumental or classical music is a better choice for a more productive study session.</p><h2>3. How does music affect brain function while studying Physics?</h2><p>Music has been shown to have a positive effect on brain function while studying Physics. It can help improve mood, reduce stress, and increase alertness and focus. This can lead to better understanding and retention of complex concepts.</p><h2>4. Are there any specific artists or composers that are recommended for studying Physics?</h2><p>While there is no specific artist or composer that is recommended for studying Physics, some popular choices among students include Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven. These composers are known for their complex and soothing compositions, which can enhance concentration and productivity.</p><h2>5. Can listening to music while studying Physics actually improve performance?</h2><p>Yes, listening to music while studying Physics can actually improve performance. As long as the music is not too loud or distracting, it can help create a more relaxed and focused environment, leading to better understanding and retention of information.</p>

1. What type of music is best to listen to while doing Physics?

The type of music that is best to listen to while doing Physics is instrumental or classical music. This type of music has been shown to improve focus and concentration, making it easier to solve complex problems and understand difficult concepts.

2. Is it better to listen to music with or without lyrics?

It is generally better to listen to music without lyrics while doing Physics. Lyrics can be distracting and make it harder to focus on the task at hand. Instrumental or classical music is a better choice for a more productive study session.

3. How does music affect brain function while studying Physics?

Music has been shown to have a positive effect on brain function while studying Physics. It can help improve mood, reduce stress, and increase alertness and focus. This can lead to better understanding and retention of complex concepts.

4. Are there any specific artists or composers that are recommended for studying Physics?

While there is no specific artist or composer that is recommended for studying Physics, some popular choices among students include Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven. These composers are known for their complex and soothing compositions, which can enhance concentration and productivity.

5. Can listening to music while studying Physics actually improve performance?

Yes, listening to music while studying Physics can actually improve performance. As long as the music is not too loud or distracting, it can help create a more relaxed and focused environment, leading to better understanding and retention of information.