Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best National Tree

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    There are a lot of different kinds of trees in the US that we haven't driven to extinction yet. The Oak, one of these uneradicateable weeds, has been designated by act of Congress as the National Tree of the US. This is a wise choice in my opinion. My living room floor is covered with a beautiful parquet of old growth White Oak and looks fabulous. Given the recent trend on GD of allowing other countries' symbols to be spoken of in the same breath with those of the US, I thought I would open this up to the board. Can you think of a National Tree of some other two bit foreign country better than that of my dear beloved home?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Oak is overrated, it bends and splits easily during drying. Your Northerly Neighbours made an excellent choiche with the Sugar maple. I'd go for the unique Sequoiadendron giganteum

[​IMG]

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Lebanon has its cedars.
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

India - the Banyan Tree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    I like the ancient and devious Jurassic Kauris of New Zealand, who got the jump on the uppity newfangled angiosperms who had the temerity to evolve more advanced means of propagation by figuring out how to poison the ground around them with a poison only they are immune to. It's sort of the Dread Pirate Roberts of trees.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the Oak has been the national tree of England :rolleyes: since time immemorial, see http://www.icons.org.uk/introduction for example.

When Britannia ruled the waves, it was in ships of good English oak! :smile:

But if I have to make an unbiased choice, I'll agree with turbo-1, and go for …

:tongue2: Cedar of Lebanon! :tongue2:​

… good enough to be on the national flag! :smile:

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    So I googled "best bonsai" for some other suggestions and -believe it or not- this page was #11 on the first page.

9. Nov 21, 2008 #8
    But you're not Libanese, are you? :uhh:

Perhaps go for the American unique bristlecone pine instead

[​IMG]

10. Nov 21, 2008 #9
    Oh, those are bristlecone pines... I think I read that someone is trying to genetically engineer a variety of bristlecone pines so that the fibers from them can be used to strengthen concrete the same way fiberglass is used.

Madagascar Baobab:

[​IMG]

Soon to result in the evolution of winged monkeys.

11. Nov 21, 2008 #10
    I'd still stick with bristlecones

[​IMG]

12. Nov 21, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I would nominate the bristlecone, too, Andre, except it's not a national tree, and the only state to designate it a state tree (Nevada) makes it share the honor with another species.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?