Which online course is the best for learning QFT?

In summary, there are various online introductory courses in Quantum Field Theory available for physicists at the university level. It can be difficult to determine which one is the best, as it is subjective. However, a popular option is David Tong's notes and videos, which are available on his website and cover various topics such as CM, QM, and relativity. Another recommended course is the one given by Oliver Rosten on the exact renormalization group, which is available on PIRSA. Both courses offer written notes and video lectures for a comprehensive learning experience.
Aidyan
I'm looking for a good online introductory course in QFT for physiscists (i.e. at university level, for someone who already has the basics of CM, QM and relativity, but for one reason or another worked in completely different fields). I see there are several courses online, but it is not so easy to judge which is the best. Does someone has a suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to write: I mean *video* online course, where the professor elaborates on the blackboard or a presentation (e.g. on YouTube).

Yes, I know it is about a subjective impression, but sometimes a really good course obtains more thumbs up...

The stuff to which I linked has links both to written notes, and to video lectures.

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework in physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics with those of special relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and their interactions with each other.

2. Why is QFT important?

QFT is important because it is the most accurate and comprehensive theory we have for understanding the fundamental laws of nature. It has been extensively tested and has successfully predicted the behavior of particles in various experiments. QFT also plays a crucial role in many areas of modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

3. What does an online course on QFT cover?

An online course on QFT typically covers the basic principles and mathematical formalism of the theory, including the concept of fields, symmetries, and Feynman diagrams. It also covers various applications of QFT, such as the Standard Model of particle physics and the theory of superconductivity.

4. Who can benefit from taking an online course on QFT?

An online course on QFT is suitable for anyone with a background in physics or mathematics who is interested in learning about the fundamental laws of nature and their applications. It is especially beneficial for graduate students and researchers in physics, as well as professionals in related fields such as engineering and computer science.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking an online course on QFT?

While there are no strict prerequisites for taking an online course on QFT, a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and classical mechanics is highly recommended. Some familiarity with special relativity and linear algebra can also be helpful in understanding the concepts and mathematical formalism of QFT.