• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses Best online Physics courses

• Thread starter DelmarPete
  • Start date
Hello. I'm brand-new to the forum.

Can someone suggest some great online physics courses or point me to a location with that information?

Background notes
• I am a physician (ophthalmologist sub-specialized in corneal transplants).
• I have not practiced for many years due to a spinal core injury and resulting quadriplegia.
• My university courses (in physics and math) included only a course titled Physics for Science & Engineering and a year of Calculus.
• I have always loved physics but commonly become frustrated (when investigating a particular topic*) due to my lack of the basic physics/math tools required to proceed.
• I am not necessarily looking for a course that will culminate in an accredited physics degree as my main objective is to obtain the basic knowledge and proficiency characteristic of a bachelors/masters degree.

Course criteria
• I am interested in a course which is well-organized and follows a calendar with scheduled homework and exams. (Currently when studying various topics, I frequently find myself spending time on interesting but somewhat off-target tangents.)
• I'd also like to find a course which includes lectures and textbook material, but more importantly, large numbers of exercises and practice examinations, for which at least half of the problems include well-thought-out and clearly-explained solutions.
• The text/exercises/exams/solutions should contain an abundance of diagrams with excellent on-screen Graphics rendering.
• Finally, while it's always nice to find free resources, I am not opposed to paying a registration fee for a course which fulfills the criteria described above.

I've searched on several occasions for a site containing the above list of features but have yet to find one so I'm hopeful this post will result in a few good suggestions.

Thanks

*Some representative topics for which I would love to gain a better understanding:
• Maxwell's equations
• Einstein's field equations
• Schrödinger's wave equation
• many others

berkeman

Mentor
Welcome to the PF, doctor. Very sorry that you suffered that life-changing injury.

Have you already looked into the Khan Academy and the MIT Online series of courses? I can find links to them if you haven't looked into them yet.