Is a PGRE Prep Course Worth It? Insights from Students Who Have Taken One

• Courses
  • Thread starter CanIExplore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Pgre
In summary, the speaker is studying for the physics GRE and plans to study on their own rather than taking a prep course due to the high cost. They are curious about others' experiences with prep courses and believe that self-study through practice problems and practice exams is the best approach. The speaker also expresses their personal opinion that a prep course would not have helped them.
CanIExplore
Hey there, I am currently studying for my physics GRE which I will be taking in October of this year. Recently I made a comment to my schoolmates on my study strategy and I mentioned that I would not be taking a prep course but rather studying on my own for the exam. Many of them gave me a very confused look as if I was crazy for not taking a prep course. I never really thought about taking a prep course because of how expensive they are. I figured I would do fine in just taking all the available practice tests I could get my hands on and by using the ETS guide and a few pGRE prep books. I would like to ask those of you have taken a prep course for the GRE if it was really worth it, and how you would compare it to the time you used to study on your own for the exam. Do you think you would have done a lot worse had you not taken the prep course? Also, I wouldn't mind hearing other people's opinions on the matter. If you have comments on specific prep courses that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't take a prep course for the PGRE and I would say that stuyding on your own is the best way to do it. Not only is it cheaper, but most people will tell you that the best way to study for the PGRE is to do a lot of practice problems and test yourself using the available practice exams. You can do both of these things without a prep course.

Please note this is just my personal opinion. For me, I know that a prep course wouldn't have helped me.

I've never even heard of the existence of a prep course for the PGRE. It's a fairly specialized test - not a very large market for one.

What is a PGRE prep course?

A PGRE prep course is a specialized course that helps students prepare for the Physics GRE (PGRE), a standardized test used for graduate school admissions in physics. It typically covers topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics, which are all important areas of physics.

How do students benefit from taking a PGRE prep course?

Students who take a PGRE prep course often see an improvement in their test scores, as the course provides a structured approach to studying and covers key concepts and strategies for approaching the test. Additionally, these courses can also provide students with a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses in physics, helping them focus their studying efforts.

Are PGRE prep courses worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on the individual student and their goals. For some students, a prep course may be beneficial in helping them achieve a higher score and gain admission to their desired graduate program. However, for others, self-studying or other methods may be just as effective. It's important for students to carefully consider their options and choose the best approach for their specific needs.

What should students look for in a PGRE prep course?

When considering a PGRE prep course, students should look for courses that are well-structured and cover all the necessary topics for the test. It's also important to consider the experience and qualifications of the instructors, as well as any additional resources or support offered by the course.

How can students make the most out of a PGRE prep course?

To get the most out of a PGRE prep course, students should attend all classes and actively participate in discussions and activities. They should also take advantage of any practice tests and resources provided by the course, and use the feedback from these tests to guide their studying. It's also important for students to stay organized and dedicated to their study schedule.