Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best PICBasic IDE/Compiler to use?

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Hello All,

I am ready to graduate from programming Basic STAMPs to pure PIC programming. I want to go ahead and purchase a nice PIC Development environment to program in. I know there are lots of free C and Asm dev apps but I really like Basic (Visual Basic is my native language). Would anyone have any suggestions for what they believe is the all around best development environment? Ideally, I'm looking for something that would be full-featured like Visual Basic but of course for PICs :smile:. From looking around, I've seen things like the Proton Development Suite, mikroBASIC, PICBasic and the freeware CGBasic compilers.

Which ones do you all prefer to use?

Jason O
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Hi Berkaman, thanks for the link. Looks like I'll go with MPLAB for this one. I looked into the basic compilers but none of them support the PIC that I am interested in using (dsPIC30F2020). IN case you're wondering, I found a better way to make my three-phase controller using the high-speed PWMs on this PIC. Now I just have to figure out how to program and wire it up right :yuck:

- Jason O
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?