Nuclear Science Crash Course: From Atoms to Radioisotopes to Radiation Dose

• Thread starter Adanali
  • Start date
In summary, atoms, isotopes, and radioisotopes are all related to the study of radioactivity and radiation detection. Radioisotopes are artificially produced through transmutation, and can undergo different types of decay such as alpha, beta, and gamma decay. These types of radiation have different properties and abilities to ionize and emit energy. The half-life and activity of radioisotopes can also be measured and studied. Exposure to radiation can have effects on humans and can be measured, but for a better understanding, it is recommended to refer to books for exposure calculations. There are many websites available for learning the basics of radioactivity and radiation detection, such as the Health Physics Society website.
Adanali
ATOMS, ISOTOPES AND RADIOISOTOPES:
Atoms, Isotopes, Radioisotopes, Artificial Transmutation: How radioisotopes are manufactured

Radioactivity and how it is detected:
Alpha decay, Beta Decay, Gamma decay, How radiation is detected

Properties of alpha, beta and gamma radiation:
Alpha particles, Beta particles, Gamma rays, The ionising abilities of alpha, beta and gamma radiation, The energy of Alpha-Beta-Gamma radiation

Half Life and activity of radioisotopes:
Decay Series

Radiation dose and its effect on humans:
Measuring radiation exposure, The effects of radiation

I've got a test coming up and it's my fault for not listening and paying attention in class as I thought it will be easy but it ain't. I need a way to learn all this to answer from simply questions like how many protons,neutrons and nucleons are in the following nuclides to a radioactive isotope has a life of 1 hour, if a sample initially contains 100 mg of this isotope, which one of the following correctly gives the amount of the radioisotope remaining after 2 hours have elapsed: none,50mg,25mg,100mg... Etc. Questions like these and harder will be on the test like drawing graphs etc.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Radiation detection and measurement by Knoll may be suitable for you.., But it dosen't cover all you need.

Sorry, I don't want Books, I want information that i can get on the net. I just want websites that will first teach me the basics and I might be able to catch up from there. Thank you.

aha,
there are lot...Just google with keyword..
i often see in this:
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/cat47.html
But regarding exposure calculation..it is better to refer books, because in have seen in some website with different values

Wow Thanks Rajini, Really helped a lot, hope to see more websites ;)

What are the best places to learn these skills?

Some of the best places to learn these skills are universities, community colleges, online courses, workshops, and apprenticeships.

What factors should I consider when choosing a place to learn these skills?

Some important factors to consider include the reputation and accreditation of the institution, the curriculum and course offerings, the cost and financial aid options, the location and accessibility, and the expertise and experience of the instructors.

Are online courses as effective as traditional classroom learning?

Online courses can be just as effective as traditional classroom learning if they are well-designed and taught by qualified instructors. However, it is important to carefully research the online course and institution to ensure its credibility and quality.

How can I find out about the latest and most in-demand skills to learn?

To find out about the latest and most in-demand skills, you can research industry trends and job market predictions, attend industry conferences and workshops, and network with professionals in your field.

Are there any free or low-cost options for learning these skills?

Yes, there are many free or low-cost options for learning these skills, such as online resources, community education programs, and open courseware from universities. It is important to thoroughly research these options and make sure they align with your learning goals and needs.