Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best PreCalculus Texts/Books.

1. Jul 27, 2005 #1
    I searched all possible keywords and went through the last 16 pages because I swear there was a thread where people listed good books for algebra/trig/precal but couldn't find it. Only threads for physics books (and calculus) recommendations.

So, any ideas on the good books? I'm planning to do a massive review over the next 4-5 weeks and solidify my foundation. Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2005 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

your title is too pretentious, you will never find a book which is the "best", instead you should ask for a book which is suited for:mathematicians/engineers/scientists (one of them), how much is it rigorous (if you need it to be rigorous) and so on.

the "best" is a relative term, and you need to specify your aim.

anyway, all of my precalc/highschool books are in hebrew so i cant help you here.

4. Jul 27, 2005 #3
    My school uses the book by Michael Sullivan and I guess the book is alright. im gonna start studying it for the summer.

5. Jul 27, 2005 #4
    stewarts...the first few chapters are for people in high schoo...basically a review...or maybe its only based ont eh canadian standard...not sure what americans learn.

6. Jul 27, 2005 #5

jma2001

Gold Member

"Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell" by George F. Simmons. I own a copy and it's great: everything you need to know about geometry, algebra, and trigonometry in 120 concise pages.

7. Jul 27, 2005 #6
    You can jump straight into Calculus with this since the first chapter covers everything you need to know to read the rest of the book:)

Essential Calculus with Applications by Richard Silverman

It comes hints or solutions to every single problem. It's very easy to read. The first chapter is basic pre-calculus material, but I guess it really depends on what you consider pre-calculus. It does not go into trigonometry though. If you work through all the examples, proofs of theorems, and exercises you will learn alot! It's a small book so it isn't very intimidating either:)

Some of the problems are really easy and some are a little more challenging, the ones with *'s on them are the harder ones. Great book!

Here is a link
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...4117?_encoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

You can get it used for like 4 dollars.

The book jma2001 listed looks really good too, and it covers trig and geometry. I would say get both!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook