1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best PreCalculus Texts/Books.

1. Jul 27, 2005 #1
    I searched all possible keywords and went through the last 16 pages because I swear there was a thread where people listed good books for algebra/trig/precal but couldn't find it. Only threads for physics books (and calculus) recommendations.

So, any ideas on the good books? I'm planning to do a massive review over the next 4-5 weeks and solidify my foundation. Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2005 #2
    your title is too pretentious, you will never find a book which is the "best", instead you should ask for a book which is suited for:mathematicians/engineers/scientists (one of them), how much is it rigorous (if you need it to be rigorous) and so on.

the "best" is a relative term, and you need to specify your aim.

anyway, all of my precalc/highschool books are in hebrew so i cant help you here.
  4. Jul 27, 2005 #3
    My school uses the book by Michael Sullivan and I guess the book is alright. im gonna start studying it for the summer.
  5. Jul 27, 2005 #4
    stewarts...the first few chapters are for people in high schoo...basically a review...or maybe its only based ont eh canadian standard...not sure what americans learn.
  6. Jul 27, 2005 #5

Gold Member

"Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell" by George F. Simmons. I own a copy and it's great: everything you need to know about geometry, algebra, and trigonometry in 120 concise pages.
  7. Jul 27, 2005 #6
    You can jump straight into Calculus with this since the first chapter covers everything you need to know to read the rest of the book:)

Essential Calculus with Applications by Richard Silverman

It comes hints or solutions to every single problem. It's very easy to read. The first chapter is basic pre-calculus material, but I guess it really depends on what you consider pre-calculus. It does not go into trigonometry though. If you work through all the examples, proofs of theorems, and exercises you will learn alot! It's a small book so it isn't very intimidating either:)

Some of the problems are really easy and some are a little more challenging, the ones with *'s on them are the harder ones. Great book!

Here is a link

You can get it used for like 4 dollars.

The book jma2001 listed looks really good too, and it covers trig and geometry. I would say get both!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?