What are the best books for mastering PreCalculus?

• Studying
  • Thread starter FancyNut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation revolved around recommendations for good books to review algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. The participants discussed the importance of specifying the purpose of the book and the relative nature of the term "best." Some suggested titles included "Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell" by George F. Simmons and "Essential Calculus with Applications" by Richard Silverman, both of which were praised for their concise explanations and comprehensive coverage. The conversation also included a link for purchasing one of the recommended books at a low cost.
FancyNut
I searched all possible keywords and went through the last 16 pages because I swear there was a thread where people listed good books for algebra/trig/precal but couldn't find it. Only threads for physics books (and calculus) recommendations.

So, any ideas on the good books? I'm planning to do a massive review over the next 4-5 weeks and solidify my foundation. Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
your title is too pretentious, you will never find a book which is the "best", instead you should ask for a book which is suited for:mathematicians/engineers/scientists (one of them), how much is it rigorous (if you need it to be rigorous) and so on.

the "best" is a relative term, and you need to specify your aim.

anyway, all of my precalc/high school books are in hebrew so i can't help you here.

My school uses the book by Michael Sullivan and I guess the book is alright. I am going to start studying it for the summer.

stewarts...the first few chapters are for people in high schoo...basically a review...or maybe its only based ont eh Canadian standard...not sure what americans learn.

"Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell" by George F. Simmons. I own a copy and it's great: everything you need to know about geometry, algebra, and trigonometry in 120 concise pages.

You can jump straight into Calculus with this since the first chapter covers everything you need to know to read the rest of the book:)

Essential Calculus with Applications by Richard Silverman

It comes hints or solutions to every single problem. It's very easy to read. The first chapter is basic pre-calculus material, but I guess it really depends on what you consider pre-calculus. It does not go into trigonometry though. If you work through all the examples, proofs of theorems, and exercises you will learn alot! It's a small book so it isn't very intimidating either:)

Some of the problems are really easy and some are a little more challenging, the ones with *'s on them are the harder ones. Great book!

Here is a link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486660974/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can get it used for like 4 dollars.

The book jma2001 listed looks really good too, and it covers trig and geometry. I would say get both!

1. What are the top recommended precalculus texts/books?

The top recommended precalculus texts/books include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Precalculus" by Robert Blitzer, "Precalculus: A Prelude to Calculus" by Sheldon Axler, "Precalculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Franklin Demana, and "Precalculus: Functions and Graphs" by Mark Dugopolski.

2. What makes a precalculus text/book considered the best?

The best precalculus texts/books are typically written by experienced and knowledgeable mathematicians or educators, are well-organized and easy to understand, have a variety of practice problems and examples, and provide clear explanations of concepts and procedures.

3. Are there any precalculus texts/books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several precalculus texts/books that are designed for self-study, including "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: A Prelude to Calculus" by Sheldon Axler, and "Precalculus: Functions and Graphs" by Mark Dugopolski. These texts typically include a thorough review of prerequisite topics and provide step-by-step explanations and examples.

4. What are some popular online resources for precalculus textbooks/books?

Some popular online resources for precalculus textbooks/books include Khan Academy, OpenStax, and Paul's Online Math Notes. These resources offer free access to precalculus materials, such as practice problems, video lectures, and interactive exercises.

5. Can I use an older edition of a precalculus textbook instead of the newest edition?

In most cases, yes, you can use an older edition of a precalculus textbook instead of the newest edition. However, be aware that there may be some changes or updates in the newest edition that could affect your learning. It is always best to consult with your instructor before using an older edition of a textbook.