Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best QFT text for self-study

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    I'd like to learn QFT on my own, what's the best text for that? Srednicki's? what do people think of QFT demystifyed?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I personally liked Maggiore's Modern intro to QFT. I was looking for a text not so targeted at HEP folks. It's very readable and really is a good intro text.

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4
    More importantly is what you have to familiar with to attempt to understand QFT. I think prerequisites are just as important.

For instance,

1.) You already have to be familiar with the basis of quantum mechanics.

2.) From classical mechanics, Lagrangian & Hamiltonian dynamics(from quantum mechanics of course Hamiltonian dynamics is covered).

3.) Solid understanding of calculus(of course); solid understanding of differential equations (including some partial differential equations). Personally, linear algebra is highly essential. Dear I say, an understanding of Fourier transforms and integral transforms.

4.) A solid understanding of group theory(ties in with linear algebra).

5.) Basic relativity and an understanding of basic tensor calculus.

I've gone through many QFT (Abers, Srednicki, Zee, Lahri Pal, and Dyall & Faegri) books(of course, not completely) and I realized what always got me into a bind were some of the above.

I don't think there is no one book great book. Each book has its pros and cons.

Good luck.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm a QFT "hobbyist" too, trying to do a little self study.

I've been working through a mixture of Zee and Scrednicki, and so far, its been working out well. (My pace is mind numbingly slow, but I am learning.)

QFT is one of those things where you want as many books as possible. Each book will have its own unique insights.

7. Jul 13, 2011 #6
  8. Jul 13, 2011 #7
    I found this to be some great staring material:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

From there, you can jump right into peskin and shroeder.

Also, Zee isn't too bad, but I though the above two were a bit more solid.

If you need a more soild QM background, Shankar is excellent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook