Best science film

• Thread starter J77
  • Start date
J77

Main Question or Discussion Point

Obviously Jurassic Park wins hands-down, so we exclude that one :tongue:

What's the best science film out there?

And what science does it represent?

I quite like Good Will Hunting - probably more cos it's a good film than to do with the maths tho'

Answers and Replies

slugcountry
how about gattaca?

cool as ice. also greatest film of all time, period.

A science film ? Do we really wanna see that ?

marlon

I vote for Pi but I'm biased.

how about gattaca?
Gets my vote or maybe aliens. Scientists and marines.:smile:

I don't understand what the big deal is in pi, that's just a typical maths head. :smile:

The dinos in Jurassic park didnt have feathers bah.
But a movie about people beeing chased by giant chickens might not be as cool.

A Beautiful Mind

J77
I don't understand what the big deal is in pi, that's just a typical maths head. :smile:
come on. the great powerful number that fries computers, kills priests and mathematicians, is not a "big deal"?

come on. the great powerful number that fries computers, kills priests and mathematicians, is not a "big deal"?
OK wasn't he just nuts though, really:smile: pi's not very amazing anyway, it's one of those numbers that just is. Did you know if you drop sufficient square slabs of concrete they tend to break up into and average of pi number of pieces, now that's wierd.

With the Kiwi fella? Nah.
Who's Kiwi?

wasn't he just nuts
no, you missed the point. the number was not pi, it was 216 digits representing underlying structure of the world. the other guy was studying pi trying to find the system, and when he found it, his computer was fried, and he himself has almost died so he stopped. later, he attempts it once more, and the number kills him. that's when our hero realizes that it was exactly why his head hurts - since economic system is also explained by that number, and he was getting closer to it. that is also why his computer died twice after calculating the number. that aligns with the story told by rabbi (about "true name of god" that kills people). that's why he drills his head. to survive.

Contact...

no, you missed the point. the number was not pi, it was 216 digits representing underlying structure of the world. the other guy was studying pi trying to find the system, and when he found it, his computer was fried, and he himself has almost died so he stopped. later, he attempts it once more, and the number kills him. that's when our hero realizes that it was exactly why his head hurts - since economic system is also explained by that number, and he was getting closer to it. that is also why his computer died twice after calculating the number. that aligns with the story told by rabbi (about "true name of god" that kills people). that's why he drills his head. to survive.
Or was he just nuts? That's the point you don't really know do you?

well I wouldn't need to make a 2 hour movie with the point that someone is just nuts. that would be like recording 2 hours of nothing at some mountain river site, and calling the movie "water flows".

J77
Pi's got a wicked soundtrack :cool:

ps: I thought the point was that it was the key to God - hence, industry, some Jewish guys and some government people all wanted it...

Curious3141
Homework Helper
I hated pi, it was a complete mess. Plus there was an unforgiveable number of obvious mathematical errors (the digits of pi in the opening were wrong after the first few places, the formula for the golden ratio was laughably wrong (I spotted this instantly and fell over laughing)), etc. etc.

well I wouldn't need to make a 2 hour movie with the point that someone is just nuts. that would be like recording 2 hours of nothing at some mountain river site, and calling the movie "water flows".
Or you could just leave it up to the audience to decide, take it from me though it has all the hall marks of schizophrenia: links with God, obsessive interest in x, paranoia, even self harming. He could of just gone Nash.

Last edited:
J77
I saw it in a little theatre with massive speakers - I wasn't really making sure the digits of pi were in the right place :biggrin:

the digits of pi in the opening were wrong after the first few places
out of the interest I decided to check this. http://faculty.ivc.edu/rzucker/snapshots/Pi_Movie.jpg [Broken]. It was 3.141592652631... not 3.141592653589... well, fx guys probably took pi from their pocket calculator, and then just added random numbers. But, how the hell did you managed to notice?

edit: I notice pi in your username. Must be going nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
J77
well, fx guys probably took pi from their pocket calculator, and then just added random numbers
Nah - they used the other value of pi...

radou
Homework Helper
Alien. :tongue2:

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Non-fiction: The Day After Trinity
Fiction: well, there's no science in ficiton movies so I vote for Spiderman II

bladerunner

alien

terminator 2