Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best science film

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1

Obviously Jurassic Park wins hands-down, so we exclude that one :tongue:

What's the best science film out there?

And what science does it represent?

I quite like Good Will Hunting - probably more cos it's a good film than to do with the maths tho'
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2
    how about gattaca?
  4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    cool as ice. also greatest film of all time, period.
  5. Jan 30, 2007 #4
    A science film ? Do we really wanna see that ?

6. Jan 30, 2007 #5
    I vote for Pi but I'm biased.
  7. Jan 30, 2007 #6
    Gets my vote or maybe aliens. Scientists and marines.:smile:

I don't understand what the big deal is in pi, that's just a typical maths head. :smile:
  8. Jan 30, 2007 #7
    The dinos in Jurassic park didnt have feathers bah.
    But a movie about people beeing chased by giant chickens might not be as cool.
  9. Jan 30, 2007 #8
    A Beautiful Mind
  10. Jan 30, 2007 #9

With the Kiwi fella? Nah.
  11. Jan 30, 2007 #10
    come on. the great powerful number that fries computers, kills priests and mathematicians, is not a "big deal"?
  12. Jan 30, 2007 #11
    OK wasn't he just nuts though, really:smile: pi's not very amazing anyway, it's one of those numbers that just is. Did you know if you drop sufficient square slabs of concrete they tend to break up into and average of pi number of pieces, now that's wierd.
  13. Jan 30, 2007 #12
    Who's Kiwi?
  14. Jan 30, 2007 #13
    no, you missed the point. the number was not pi, it was 216 digits representing underlying structure of the world. the other guy was studying pi trying to find the system, and when he found it, his computer was fried, and he himself has almost died so he stopped. later, he attempts it once more, and the number kills him. that's when our hero realizes that it was exactly why his head hurts - since economic system is also explained by that number, and he was getting closer to it. that is also why his computer died twice after calculating the number. that aligns with the story told by rabbi (about "true name of god" that kills people). that's why he drills his head. to survive.
  15. Jan 30, 2007 #14
  16. Jan 30, 2007 #15
    Or was he just nuts? That's the point you don't really know do you?
  17. Jan 30, 2007 #16
    well I wouldn't need to make a 2 hour movie with the point that someone is just nuts. that would be like recording 2 hours of nothing at some mountain river site, and calling the movie "water flows".
  18. Jan 30, 2007 #17

Pi's got a wicked soundtrack :cool:

ps: I thought the point was that it was the key to God - hence, industry, some Jewish guys and some government people all wanted it...
  19. Jan 30, 2007 #18

Homework Helper

I hated pi, it was a complete mess. Plus there was an unforgiveable number of obvious mathematical errors (the digits of pi in the opening were wrong after the first few places, the formula for the golden ratio was laughably wrong (I spotted this instantly and fell over laughing)), etc. etc.
  20. Jan 30, 2007 #19
    Or you could just leave it up to the audience to decide, take it from me though it has all the hall marks of schizophrenia: links with God, obsessive interest in x, paranoia, even self harming. He could of just gone Nash.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  21. Jan 30, 2007 #20

I saw it in a little theatre with massive speakers - I wasn't really making sure the digits of pi were in the right place :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?