Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    Anyone else seen this somewhat low budget Scifi movie?

Its not that old, say maybe 3-5 years. Called "Moon"
    Very cool with a lot of atmosphere.

If you havent seen it yet, do yourselves a favor and do so.

Anyone else a fan?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's pretty good yeah - similar in feel to Silent Running and Sunshine only more bite.
    There is a lot of good stuff at the lower budget end.

Also see event 16 and Monsters for what can be done at the ultra-low budget end.

4. Jul 17, 2013 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

It's not bad, I wouldn't consider it the best science fiction of recent years by a long shot (unless you are only counting film, a poor medium for science fiction IMO).

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4
    I'm sorry, I disagree. It's not terrible, but I found it to be boring and much less psychologically thrilling than I had hoped.

I would recommend "Europa Report" which is another low-budget film (it's idependent) about a crew that goes to Europa to probe the icy waters and report back. It's made in documentary form so you get a realistic feel. With moon, I just couldn't buy it.

6. Aug 28, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well it is slow paced and not actually intended to be a psychological thriller so fair comment.

7. Sep 15, 2013 #6
    I really enjoyed it. And what's not to like about Sam Rockwell?

Cargo is another relatively unknown sci-fi film.

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Funny, just before logging to PF I was listening to

IMHO music is the best part of the movie, but the movie is not bad. Just not convincing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Nov 24, 2013 #8
    ref Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

Sadly true IMHO

I went in expecting little but came out pleasantly surprised..worth watching that's for sure.

10. Nov 24, 2013 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Fermifaq:
    Welcome to PF;
    It just got eclipsed by Gravity though didn't it?

Note: sci-fi is quite difficult to get made ... producers seem to have the impression that they don't do very well for the outlay. That is slowly changing as CGI gets cheaper - but you still have costumes and physics to get right without turning it into a college lecture.

11. Dec 30, 2013 #10
    Yes, the best thing about Moon - but the special effects are pretty good for a low-budget production - is its emotional quality. I.e. the music, and Sam Rockwell looking even worse than usual.

Right now, you should review Elysium and District 9 side by side. As not-bad as Elysium is, District 9 was probably the most original SF in a decade.

12. Dec 30, 2013 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Did anyone else pick up on the little detail that the company was Korean? I don't think it was coincidental - I believe it was to capitalise on Korean researchers being in the limelight for mammalian (and human embryonic stem cell) cloning (including the Hwang scandal, etc.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook