Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

• Thread starter solar71
  • Start date
Anyone else seen this somewhat low budget Scifi movie?

Its not that old, say maybe 3-5 years. Called "Moon"
Very cool with a lot of atmosphere.

If you havent seen it yet, do yourselves a favor and do so.

Anyone else a fan?

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's pretty good yeah - similar in feel to Silent Running and Sunshine only more bite.
There is a lot of good stuff at the lower budget end.

Also see event 16 and Monsters for what can be done at the ultra-low budget end.

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It's not bad, I wouldn't consider it the best science fiction of recent years by a long shot (unless you are only counting film, a poor medium for science fiction IMO).

I'm sorry, I disagree. It's not terrible, but I found it to be boring and much less psychologically thrilling than I had hoped.

I would recommend "Europa Report" which is another low-budget film (it's idependent) about a crew that goes to Europa to probe the icy waters and report back. It's made in documentary form so you get a realistic feel. With moon, I just couldn't buy it.

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I found it to be boring and much less psychologically thrilling than I had hoped
Well it is slow paced and not actually intended to be a psychological thriller so fair comment.

I really enjoyed it. And what's not to like about Sam Rockwell?

Cargo is another relatively unknown sci-fi film.

Borek

Mentor
Funny, just before logging to PF I was listening to

IMHO music is the best part of the movie, but the movie is not bad. Just not convincing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ref Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

Sadly true IMHO

I went in expecting little but came out pleasantly surprised..worth watching that's for sure.

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
@Fermifaq:
Welcome to PF;
It just got eclipsed by Gravity though didn't it?

Note: sci-fi is quite difficult to get made ... producers seem to have the impression that they don't do very well for the outlay. That is slowly changing as CGI gets cheaper - but you still have costumes and physics to get right without turning it into a college lecture.

Yes, the best thing about Moon - but the special effects are pretty good for a low-budget production - is its emotional quality. I.e. the music, and Sam Rockwell looking even worse than usual.

Right now, you should review Elysium and District 9 side by side. As not-bad as Elysium is, District 9 was probably the most original SF in a decade.

Curious3141

Homework Helper
Did anyone else pick up on the little detail that the company was Korean? I don't think it was coincidental - I believe it was to capitalise on Korean researchers being in the limelight for mammalian (and human embryonic stem cell) cloning (including the Hwang scandal, etc.).