Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

In summary: Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. District 9 had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be poorly executed. Elysium is a very average movie.Yes, I thought the same thing. District 9 had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be poorly executed. Elysium is a very average movie.
solar71
Anyone else seen this somewhat low budget Scifi movie?

Its not that old, say maybe 3-5 years. Called "Moon"
Very cool with a lot of atmosphere.

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourselves a favor and do so.

Anyone else a fan?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty good yeah - similar in feel to Silent Running and Sunshine only more bite.
There is a lot of good stuff at the lower budget end.

Also see event 16 and Monsters for what can be done at the ultra-low budget end.

It's not bad, I wouldn't consider it the best science fiction of recent years by a long shot (unless you are only counting film, a poor medium for science fiction IMO).

I'm sorry, I disagree. It's not terrible, but I found it to be boring and much less psychologically thrilling than I had hoped.

I would recommend "Europa Report" which is another low-budget film (it's idependent) about a crew that goes to Europa to probe the icy waters and report back. It's made in documentary form so you get a realistic feel. With moon, I just couldn't buy it.

I found it to be boring and much less psychologically thrilling than I had hoped
Well it is slow paced and not actually intended to be a psychological thriller so fair comment.

I really enjoyed it. And what's not to like about Sam Rockwell?

Cargo is another relatively unknown sci-fi film.

Funny, just before logging to PF I was listening to

IMHO music is the best part of the movie, but the movie is not bad. Just not convincing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ref Best SciFi in a long time. Moon

Sadly true IMHO

I went in expecting little but came out pleasantly surprised..worth watching that's for sure.

@Fermifaq:
Welcome to PF;
It just got eclipsed by Gravity though didn't it?

Note: sci-fi is quite difficult to get made ... producers seem to have the impression that they don't do very well for the outlay. That is slowly changing as CGI gets cheaper - but you still have costumes and physics to get right without turning it into a college lecture.

Yes, the best thing about Moon - but the special effects are pretty good for a low-budget production - is its emotional quality. I.e. the music, and Sam Rockwell looking even worse than usual.

Right now, you should review Elysium and District 9 side by side. As not-bad as Elysium is, District 9 was probably the most original SF in a decade.

Did anyone else pick up on the little detail that the company was Korean? I don't think it was coincidental - I believe it was to capitalise on Korean researchers being in the limelight for mammalian (and human embryonic stem cell) cloning (including the Hwang scandal, etc.).

What makes "Moon" the best SciFi in a long time?

There are several reasons that make "Moon" stand out as a top SciFi film. Firstly, its unique and thought-provoking storyline sets it apart from other SciFi movies. Additionally, the film's stunning visuals and special effects add to the overall immersive experience. The exceptional performances by the cast, particularly Sam Rockwell, also contribute to its success.

Is "Moon" a standalone film or part of a series?

"Moon" is a standalone film, meaning it is not part of a series or franchise. However, it has been rumored that a sequel may be in the works.

Who directed "Moon"?

"Moon" was directed by Duncan Jones, who is known for his work on other SciFi films such as "Source Code" and "Warcraft".

What themes are explored in "Moon"?

"Moon" delves into various themes, including isolation, identity, and the consequences of advanced technology. It also raises questions about the ethical implications of human cloning and the role of corporations in the future.

Can "Moon" be considered a science fiction masterpiece?

This is subjective and up to individual interpretation. However, "Moon" has received critical acclaim and has been praised for its originality, storytelling, and technical aspects, making it a strong contender for the title of a science fiction masterpiece.