Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Social Philosophy?

1. Idealism

3 vote(s)
  2. Realism

4 vote(s)
  3. Pragmatism

6 vote(s)
  4. Existentialism

4 vote(s)
  1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    Which Philosophy do you think is best to run a society on?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, you left out some big ones, like Objectivism !
  4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    pragmatism, obviously.
  5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    Existentialism. Face it, this is all you got.
  6. Jan 23, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Except for existentialism, these are all epistemologies. None of the four are political philosophies. You should explain exactly how one would run a society based on one of these schools of philosophy.
  7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

Bah. *beats self for not catching that*

Good job.
  8. Jan 23, 2006 #7
    Umm... actually, each has an epistemology wing, a metaphysical wing, an axiology wing and a Logic wing.
  9. Jan 24, 2006 #8
    How does idealism have a metaphysical wing?
  10. Jan 24, 2006 #9
    Idealists would say that reality is a manifestation of the spiritual world.
  11. Jan 24, 2006 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Idealism is an ontology that says nothing but ideas exist, but how do you run a society based on this tenet? You haven't really answered the question. Given that none prescribes any kind of ethics, and therefore any course of action, what are the implications of each for how a society that believed in them would operate?

I'm not asking this to antagonize you. I'm the philosophy forum mentor and it's my job to try and clarify discussions that are muddied in the initial post.
  12. Jan 24, 2006 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

And yeah, I meant to say these are all metaphysics, not epistemologies; just mixed up the words. Sorry about that.
  13. Jan 24, 2006 #12
    Well, I understand that you can not use these as a political philosophy. Perhaps I should have said "What philosophy is best to build a political theory on."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?