Best Social Philosophy?

What philosophy is best to run a society?

• Idealism

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Realism

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Pragmatism

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Existentialism

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which Philosophy do you think is best to run a society on?

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, you left out some big ones, like Objectivism !

pragmatism, obviously.

Existentialism. Face it, this is all you got.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Except for existentialism, these are all epistemologies. None of the four are political philosophies. You should explain exactly how one would run a society based on one of these schools of philosophy.

loseyourname said:
Except for existentialism, these are all epistemologies. None of the four are political philosophies. You should explain exactly how one would run a society based on one of these schools of philosophy.

Bah. *beats self for not catching that*

Good job.

loseyourname said:

Umm... actually, each has an epistemology wing, a metaphysical wing, an axiology wing and a Logic wing.

ComputerGeek said:
Umm... actually, each has an epistemology wing, a metaphysical wing, an axiology wing and a Logic wing.

How does idealism have a metaphysical wing?

franznietzsche said:
How does idealism have a metaphysical wing?

Idealists would say that reality is a manifestation of the spiritual world.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
ComputerGeek said:
Idealists would say that reality is a manifestation of the spiritual world.

Idealism is an ontology that says nothing but ideas exist, but how do you run a society based on this tenet? You haven't really answered the question. Given that none prescribes any kind of ethics, and therefore any course of action, what are the implications of each for how a society that believed in them would operate?

I'm not asking this to antagonize you. I'm the philosophy forum mentor and it's my job to try and clarify discussions that are muddied in the initial post.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
And yeah, I meant to say these are all metaphysics, not epistemologies; just mixed up the words. Sorry about that.

loseyourname said:
Idealism is an ontology that says nothing but ideas exist, but how do you run a society based on this tenet? You haven't really answered the question. Given that none prescribes any kind of ethics, and therefore any course of action, what are the implications of each for how a society that believed in them would operate?
I'm not asking this to antagonize you. I'm the philosophy forum mentor and it's my job to try and clarify discussions that are muddied in the initial post.

Well, I understand that you can not use these as a political philosophy. Perhaps I should have said "What philosophy is best to build a political theory on."