Top Pick: The Best Recorded Song

• Thread starter 1123581321
  • Start date
In summary, there is a wide range of opinions on what the best song ever recorded is. Some mention "Born To Run" by Springsteen, "Dream On" by Aerosmith, "In the Name of Love" by U2, "It's All Right, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" by Bob Dylan, and "YMCA" by the Village People. Others suggest "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin, "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, and "American Pie" by Don McLean. Many also mention their personal
What is the best song ever recorded?

Fibonacci

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard less than 1% of the songs ever recorded, so I'm in no position to judge. The one that always makes me stop what I'm doing (yeah, even that) to listen is 'Born To Run' by Springsteen. Another of those things that Hypatia can understand. Whenever I hear it, I can feel that 440 pounding and smell burning rubber. :biggrin:

Dream On, live version in the Aerosmith anthology concerts.

Or maybe it was the Minute Waltz, by Chopin, or Good Riddance (Time of your life), by Green Day, or that long weird Austrian named one by Mozart?

Requiem by mozart

Clarinet quintet by mozart

Bladibla said:
Requiem by mozart

I have heard it. A wonderful piece. I use to hear it when I am sad or angry.

Although I think the best song is:

In the name of love (Pride)

U2.

"It's All Right, Ma, I'm only Bleeding."

Bob Dylan

YMCA

=/ nah... maybe not.

My fave all time recorded song is Led Zeppelin...Ramble on

And yep Danger, that ones on my cruising tape.. good driving music!

I want to add a bit more to my list..

J.S.Bach - Badinerie
Faure - pavane

I could barely scrape up a list of 10 of my favourite songs let alone 1. I'd feel I'm neglecting many deserving songs then.

Danger said:
I've heard less than 1% of the songs ever recorded, so I'm in no position to judge. The one that always makes me stop what I'm doing (yeah, even that) to listen is 'Born To Run' by Springsteen. Another of those things that Hypatia can understand. Whenever I hear it, I can feel that 440 pounding and smell burning rubber . :biggrin:
Well, you may not need to stop what you're doing, but you should definitely slow down. :biggrin:

I really like Comfortably Numb, but I wouldn't call it the best song ever recorded.

Muskrat Love ranks right up...Okay, it just is rank. :yuck:

It's got to be...

Echoes, by Pink Floyd.

Artman said:
Well, you may not need to stop what you're doing, but you should definitely slow down. :biggrin:
Somebody messed up at the factory. Those were supposed to be lubricated... :grumpy:

hypatia said:

I'd definitely give a vote for "Ramble On", which is a great cruising song, but my all time favorite is the Jimi Hendrix version of "All Along the Watchtower".

But I would have to add "Purple Haze","Stone Free",Manic Depression","Voodoo Chile" (from Electric Ladyland),"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

Then I would add Journey's "Of a Lifetime", which is a nice early morning at sunrise cruising tune (preferably on an empty highway going triple digits - of course with rated tires). :biggrin:

And possibly Blue Öyster Cult's "Then Came the Last Days of May" from the live album.

So, Hypatia, what else is on your cruisin' tape?

Last edited:
hypatia said:

I like your style.

I also have a curious fascination with System of a Down, Spiders
Some might call it a morbid fascination.

The driveing tape has some old Roxey Music, the Who, Zepplin, but also has songs like Mexican Radio, Cars, Police, {born in the 50's}...even Kid Rock song {with the top let back and the sun shine shineing}.
lol Now I feel the need to make a "morning" driveing tape, maybe include some Yes songs.

I was thinking about a choice last night between "Ramble On" and "All Along the Watchtower" - hard choice. It would probably depend on the mood. Ramble On is somewhat mellower. Also the song before it on LZII, "Thank You" is nice.

My two other favorite LZ tunes are "No Quarter" from Housed of the Holy and "When the Levee Breaks" from LZIV. "When the Levee Breaks" has are really cool guitar riff at the very end of the song - last 5 seconds.

I would also offer as a candidate for best song ever Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - the 17 minute version from side 2 of the album.

and then there is the long version of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".

Astronuc said:
I would also offer as a candidate for best song ever Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - the 17 minute version from side 2 of the album.
I just popped back into mention that very thing, but you beat me to it. Nothin' like it for just sacking out with the headphones on. The only drawback is that just when I start nodding off, that guitar that sounds like a wounded Tyranosaurus cuts in and wakes me up. Not that I'm complaining though.
I would also nominate, simply because of the genius of how so many things were integrated into it, 'American Pie'. I saw an annotated version of the lyrics back in high school, and it was almost a novella.

"Miscellaneous" by the Rats

Life by Devin Townsend

Speaking of driving music, this mix did me well this past summer when I was driving around the US (especially in the, uh, middle).

1. Jimi Hendrix - Come On (Let the Good Times Roll)
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou
3. The Stooges - Down on the Street
4. Neil Young - Cinammon Girl
5. The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
6. Led Zeppelin - Traveling Riverside Blues
7. Creede Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
8. The Grateful Dead - Casey Jones
9. The Beatles - Get Back
10. Cream - I Feel Free
11. The Velvet Underground - Lonesome Cowboy Bill (early version)
12. Bob Dylan - Obviously 5 Believers
13. The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women
14. Led Zeppelin - Black Country Woman
15. Neil Young - The Losing End (When You're On)
16. The Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil
17. Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do
18. The Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler (live)
19. Hank Williams Sr. - Ramblin' Man

On the first run through the CD, Ramblin' Man was playing as we finally got off the highway and slowly crept through the small town of Chamberlain, South Dakota towards the campsite. When it finished, I had to play it again, because it was just too good of a match for the whole scene.

By the way, South Dakota was the first state I've ever been in that has a 75mph speed limit. And it also has the Badlands. God bless South Dakota.

bah I changed my mind

Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue.

Last edited:
Neither one is the best song ever, but both definitely the best within their release envelopes: Paradise by the Dashboard Light & Bohemian Rhapsody

Danger said:
Bohemian Rhapsody

I was just going to mention that one. I wouldn't really vote it as all time best, but it is definitely one all time favorite. Also, this is really more about current music, I think; I hope. It's pretty hard to compare Bach with Queen. But then again, frankly, I prefer Queen over Bach! :yuck:

Also, Heart of Gold, Daniel, American Pie, and esp Vincent by McLean. :cry:

Hotel California. Danger, I'm sure that you can see why a "dark desert highway" and "cool wind in my hair", brings back some great memories. It always takes me back to El Mirage.

Has anyone heard the Hawaiin band's version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow? I like it. I don't know why, but I do.

As Evo and I have discussed before, much of the music on the War of the World's release, with music by one or two people from the Moody Blues, is really good stuff. Thunder Child and Forever Autumn are favorites of mine.

Ivan Seeking said:
I prefer Queen over Bach!
Except PDQ Bach, of course. That's pretty cool.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm sure that you can see why a "dark desert highway" and "cool wind in my hair", brings back some great memories.
Memories of having hair? :tongue:

Danger said:
Memories of having hair? :tongue:

Speak for yourself o' shiny one. :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Speak for yourself o' shiny one. :rofl:
Nuts! You saw my post in the Members Photos thread. :grumpy:

hypnagogue, sounds like a fun mix. I love it when the music comes together with the place and time you are at.
Funny too, even at the mention of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida I can actually smell Patchouli.

My personal opnion of the best song ever recorded is "Apprehension" played by Apocalyptica. I love how they use instruments thought of as classical in a new way.

Adding a few more to the list of great Rock & Roll songs:

Cream - Crossroads
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Many a Mile to Freedom, Rainmaker, Dear Mr. Fantasy
Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home
Quicksilver Messenger Sevice - What About Me, Fresh Air, Gold and Silver
Yes - Parallels - great tune while sprinting down a soccer field
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9: 1st, 2nd and 3rd Impressions
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water, Woman from Tokyo, Highway Star, Space Truckin'
Doors - Light My Fire, Riders on the Storm
Greatful Dead - Clementine Jam, The Eleven Jam
Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man
Santana - Singing Winds, Crying Beasts; Black Magic Woman,
Jon Butcher - Holy War
Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
Blue Öyster Cult - Cities On Flame (with Rock & Roll) in addition to Last Days of May (live version)

I could certainly add more :biggrin:

The best song depends on the mood and situation. Ripping down the highway is a different experience than sitting watching a sunset or laying back in a dark room.

And Rock & Roll will never die :biggrin:

Last edited:
Danger said:
Bohemian Rhapsody
I've never understood why people like this song. It's not because of Wayne's World is it?

ShawnD said:
I've never understood why people like this song. It's not because of Wayne's World is it?

:rolleyes: No. :rofl: We're just old.

Santana they should be voted best graphics for album covers.

Bohemian Rhapsody
The song came out in 1975 and spent 9 weeks at number 1, Waynes World reintroduced the song to a younger generation.

:smile: eh Gads! Ivans right.

<h2>What makes a song a "Top Pick"? </h2><p>A "Top Pick" song is typically one that has been selected by a reputable source, such as a music critic or publication, as being of exceptional quality. This can be based on factors such as the song's lyrics, melody, production, and overall impact on the music industry.</p><h2>How is the "Best Recorded Song" determined?</h2><p>The "Best Recorded Song" is typically determined through a combination of critical acclaim, popularity, and sales. It may also be based on awards and recognition from music organizations or industry professionals.</p><h2>Who decides which songs are considered "Top Picks"?</h2><p>The decision of which songs are considered "Top Picks" can vary. It may be made by individual music critics, publications, or a collective group of industry professionals. In some cases, the general public may also have a say through polls or voting systems.</p><h2>Can a song be considered a "Top Pick" even if it is not widely known?</h2><p>Yes, a song can still be considered a "Top Pick" even if it is not widely known. The quality and impact of the song are often the determining factors, rather than its popularity or mainstream success.</p><h2>Are there different categories or genres for "Top Picks"?</h2><p>Yes, there can be different categories or genres for "Top Picks" depending on the source or criteria used. For example, there may be separate lists for "Top Picks" in rock, pop, hip hop, or country music. There may also be categories for "Top Picks" in specific time periods or for specific themes or topics.</p>

What makes a song a "Top Pick"?

A "Top Pick" song is typically one that has been selected by a reputable source, such as a music critic or publication, as being of exceptional quality. This can be based on factors such as the song's lyrics, melody, production, and overall impact on the music industry.

How is the "Best Recorded Song" determined?

The "Best Recorded Song" is typically determined through a combination of critical acclaim, popularity, and sales. It may also be based on awards and recognition from music organizations or industry professionals.

Who decides which songs are considered "Top Picks"?

The decision of which songs are considered "Top Picks" can vary. It may be made by individual music critics, publications, or a collective group of industry professionals. In some cases, the general public may also have a say through polls or voting systems.

Can a song be considered a "Top Pick" even if it is not widely known?

Yes, a song can still be considered a "Top Pick" even if it is not widely known. The quality and impact of the song are often the determining factors, rather than its popularity or mainstream success.

Are there different categories or genres for "Top Picks"?

Yes, there can be different categories or genres for "Top Picks" depending on the source or criteria used. For example, there may be separate lists for "Top Picks" in rock, pop, hip hop, or country music. There may also be categories for "Top Picks" in specific time periods or for specific themes or topics.