Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best song ever

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    What is the best song ever recorded?

Fibonacci

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I've heard less than 1% of the songs ever recorded, so I'm in no position to judge. The one that always makes me stop what I'm doing (yeah, even that) to listen is 'Born To Run' by Springsteen. Another of those things that Hypatia can understand. Whenever I hear it, I can feel that 440 pounding and smell burning rubber. :biggrin:

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

Mk

Dream On, live version in the Aerosmith anthology concerts.

Or maybe it was the Minute Waltz, by Chopin, or Good Riddance (Time of your life), by Green Day, or that long wierd Austrian named one by Mozart?

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    Requiem by mozart

Clarinet quintet by mozart

6. Apr 15, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have heard it. A wonderful piece. I use to hear it when I am sad or angry.

Although I think the best song is:

In the name of love (Pride)

U2.

7. Apr 15, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

"It's All Right, Ma, I'm only Bleeding."

Bob Dylan

8. Apr 15, 2005 #7
    YMCA

=/ nah... maybe not.

9. Apr 15, 2005 #8
    My fave all time recorded song is Led Zeppelin...Ramble on

And yep Danger, that ones on my cruising tape.. good driving music!

10. Apr 15, 2005 #9
    I wanna add a bit more to my list..

J.S.Bach - Badinerie
    Faure - pavane

11. Apr 15, 2005 #10
    I could barely scrape up a list of 10 of my favourite songs let alone 1. I'd feel I'm neglecting many deserving songs then.

12. Apr 15, 2005 #11
    Well, you may not need to stop what you're doing, but you should definitely slow down. :biggrin:

I really like Comfortably Numb, but I wouldn't call it the best song ever recorded.

Muskrat Love ranks right up...Okay, it just is rank. :yuck:

13. Apr 15, 2005 #12

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's gotta be...

Echoes, by Pink Floyd.

14. Apr 15, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Somebody messed up at the factory. Those were supposed to be lubricated... :grumpy:

15. Apr 15, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'd definitely give a vote for "Ramble On", which is a great cruising song, but my all time favorite is the Jimi Hendrix version of "All Along the Watchtower".

But I would have to add "Purple Haze","Stone Free",Manic Depression","Voodoo Chile" (from Electric Ladyland),"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

Then I would add Journey's "Of a Lifetime", which is a nice early morning at sunrise cruising tune (preferably on an empty highway going triple digits - of course with rated tires). :biggrin:

And possibly Blue Öyster Cult's "Then Came the Last Days of May" from the live album.

So, Hypatia, what else is on your cruisin' tape?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  16. Apr 15, 2005 #15
    I like your style.

17. Apr 15, 2005 #16
    I also have a curious fascination with System of a Down, Spiders
    Some might call it a morbid fascination.

18. Apr 15, 2005 #17
    The driveing tape has some old Roxey Music, the Who, Zepplin, but also has songs like Mexican Radio, Cars, Police, {born in the 50's}...even Kid Rock song {with the top let back and the sun shine shineing}.
    lol Now I feel the need to make a "morning" driveing tape, maybe include some Yes songs.

19. Apr 16, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was thinking about a choice last night between "Ramble On" and "All Along the Watchtower" - hard choice. It would probably depend on the mood. Ramble On is somewhat mellower. Also the song before it on LZII, "Thank You" is nice.

My two other favorite LZ tunes are "No Quarter" from Housed of the Holy and "When the Levee Breaks" from LZIV. "When the Levee Breaks" has are really cool guitar riff at the very end of the song - last 5 seconds.

I would also offer as a candidate for best song ever Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - the 17 minute version from side 2 of the album.

and then there is the long version of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".

20. Apr 16, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I just popped back in to mention that very thing, but you beat me to it. Nothin' like it for just sacking out with the headphones on. The only drawback is that just when I start nodding off, that guitar that sounds like a wounded Tyranosaurus cuts in and wakes me up. Not that I'm complaining though.
    I would also nominate, simply because of the genius of how so many things were integrated into it, 'American Pie'. I saw an annotated version of the lyrics back in high school, and it was almost a novella.

21. Apr 16, 2005 #20
    "Miscellaneous" by the Rats

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?