What is the Best Saxophone Song?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, some of the best songs are "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine." by Axl Rose, "Bruce Springsteen - "tunnel of love"" by Led Zeppelin, "Honor thy Father" by Dream Theater, and "Octavarium" by Dream Theater.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, in this thread, you need to post a link to the entire song so we can hear it. This will be hard or impossible for some songs. :frown:

Let's see what we can find!

This is the best sax I've ever had. "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty

[MEDIA=youtube]EgbGaYTkkPU[/MEDIA][/URL]

Listen to it at least once, you won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Kotke playing "vaseline Machine Gun" on a 12 sting with slide. This is the only true version of Kotke playing I could find, it's poor quality, but still better than the imitations.

[MEDIA=youtube]Sjtsgy5uBcs[/MEDIA][/URL]

Moody Blues - Forever Autumn [MEDIA=youtube]VUcvXLzLPHE[/MEDIA][/URL]

I would post a link but have to go to work soon, Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine. Best Guitar riff ever with the excellent vocals of Axl Rose.

Bruce Springsteen - "tunnel of love" [MEDIA=youtube]hWPsHoppUos[/MEDIA][/URL]

The Battle of Evermore - Led Zeppelin

[MEDIA=youtube]w4oUJUCDX1s[/MEDIA][/URL]

can't find the link, but note - "Sleeping Sun" by "Nightwish"

[MEDIA=youtube]A70riIDQ_r4[/MEDIA][/URL]

Honor thy Father by Dream Theater - I swear Portnoy is the best drummer ever.

Edit: Nightwish is awesome btw =p

Epic 20min + song by Dream Theater called Octavarium (this is progressive metal so the mood and tempo/beat and genre changes all the time, slow at the start, faster/heavier at the end in this one), [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]xK3qylwd-M0[/MEDIA][/URL]

I honestly believe Dream Theater has one of the best keyboardist/guitarist/bassist THE best drummer and the singing well that just depends on what you like :).

(lol lots of edits, but in that video Rudess the keyboarder had a bit of a solo session, so it's a bit longer then normal =p)

Yngwie Malmsteen with the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra - this guy really does have the hands of a god.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]oBpOnZxfISg[/MEDIA][/URL]
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Zh0sraGZFFo[/MEDIA][/URL]

Pink Floyd's "Echoes" set to the final scene of 2001, A Space Odyssey : watch full screen in a dark room!

part 1
part 2
part 3

Last edited:
Andy said:
I would post a link but have to go to work soon, Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine. Best Guitar riff ever with the excellent vocals of Axl Rose.
Excellent vocals? His voice is like a rusty hinge!

I can't find a link to the whole song, but perhaps the best blues guitar solo is by Boz Scaggs on the song I've Got Your Love, off the Come on Home CD. There's not a bad cut on that CD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000000WDG/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Evo said:
Leo Kotke playing "vaseline Machine Gun" on a 12 sting with slide. This is the only true version of Kotke playing I could find, it's poor quality, but still better than the imitations.

[MEDIA=youtube]Sjtsgy5uBcs[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
I saw a link to the tune "Ojo" (which I like better than VMG), and OUCH, it's some teenager from God-knows-where!

One should NOT be allowed to attempt this in public.

This was life-changing for me. I liked "Holiday in the Sun" most, but alas, no link.
[MEDIA=youtube]8ANi68o2dsI[/MEDIA][/URL]

Overture to The Zoobie Cantata, by Mr. Z. Shoe.

The Zoobie Cantata Online[/URL]
Performed by [I]The Academy of St. Goober in the Streams[/i], Shoezisa Zoobikawa, Music Director, in conjunction with the chorus of [I]The Church Of The Elder Brothers and Sisters of the Secondarily Generalized Ascendent Masters, Twice Removed[/I].

(The site may be down just now, try again at a later date.)

One of the coolest guitar pieces I've seen in a while is by Erik Mongraine:

[MEDIA=youtube]AbndgwfG22k[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

His solo CD is coming out soon so hopefully it's as good as the samples on Youtube.

The best 80's band...well they're only the best because I've never seen an all female hair metal band like this before.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]rQm1_z0EsD4[/MEDIA][/URL]

And along the lines of a female fronted metal band (like Nightwish) I thought I'd post some Within Temptation.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]cGUo_qmvUts[/MEDIA][/URL]
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]J3xBEjvggJc[/MEDIA][/URL] (Cover of Kate Bush's Running up that hill)

Best rock songs go to Steve Vai and Devin Townsend with 'In my dreams with you' and Devin Townsend's 'Life'..

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]lIdEP590Rc0[/MEDIA][/URL] (In my dreams with you)
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]PlE6PSp-qkM[/MEDIA][/URL] (Life)

Best metal song goes to Faith No More's 'As the worm turns'...and yes I am going to classify this as a metal song people!

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]MvkQtT2VwVA[/MEDIA][/URL] (atrocious sound quality)

Sorry for the number of songs posted, but that does cover all the songs that I think (at the moment) should be classed as some of the best in their respective areas.

So I won't post anymore...but you may as well give all these a go 'cause you never know ;). I especially recommend Erik Mongraine for Astronuc.

I also highly recommend Devin Townsend to anyone who likes melodic rock. But I will warn you that he has another band called Strapping Young Lad and this won't be your thing unless you like heavy metal. If you're into heavy metal and haven't heard of SYL then I also highly recommend it. But if you only like rock then stick to The Devin Townsend Band songs.

That's the end of my rambling :)

Rocket Man - Elton John :cool:

Yeah Tommy Emannuel is something else. He's one of three guitarists to be given the honourary degree of Certified Guitar Player (CGP) by Chet Atkins (a true legend).

Excellent videos to watch!

big man said:
One of the coolest guitar pieces I've seen in a while is by Erik Mongraine:

[MEDIA=youtube]AbndgwfG22k[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL][/quote]That's really good. I'm finding a lot of music I never knew about, this is great. :approve:

[quote]The best 80's band...well they're only the best because I've never seen an all female hair metal band like this before.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]rQm1_z0EsD4[/MEDIA][/URL][/quote]Ok, that's some scary trailer trash hair. :bugeye: They sound like Heart.

I fell in love with this brilliant David Bowie song (and his voice) when I was about 11. It's just about the best song he has ever made:
[MEDIA=youtube]ibS4w8U2hJ0[/MEDIA][/URL]

Schubert (and Fischer-Dieskau) rocks as well:
[MEDIA=youtube]2b_vCtkdM9I[/MEDIA][/URL]

That made me think of two of my all time favorites

Major Tom by Peter Schilling [MEDIA=youtube]mvHJ8OCfO9c[/MEDIA]&feature=fvw[/URL]
and Space Oddity by David Bowie [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Kxoxqvg3lB0[/MEDIA][/URL]

I don't know what's scarier in that video, his hair or those platform shoes. :bugeye:

Evo said:
Link doesn't work.
Sorry. Direct linking to content is not allowed. Just highlight the link, choose "copy link location" and paste that into your browser's address bar. You won't be disappointed! The guy is incredible. I do a lot of boogie guitar and blues, and this guy's got some great tricks up his sleeve.

I have a student coming over this weekend (a young guy about 35 years old) who wants to learn some more blues licks, runs, and bending techniques. Since I can't play out anymore (asthma, migraines, and joint pain if I get around fragrances), I figure I've got to pass on some of this stuff. I'm not going to charge him, and if he is a quick study, I'll keep helping him. Other people helped me - pass it on.

Last edited:
I will do that.

I am loving all the links people are providing. I haven't been able to comment on every one of them, but this has really exposed me to some talent I was unaware of. Keep posting!

big man said:
One of the coolest guitar pieces I've seen in a while is by Erik Mongraine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abndg...elated&search=
Hey big man, thanks for that. That is definitely some fine guitar playing. :cool: :approve: I sent it on to a friend who plays guitar and who is a fellow Joe Satriani afficionado. Satriani has done something similar while playing his electric guitar standing up.

Satiani's concert at The Grove in LA is on DVD. I strongly recommend it! :tongue2: Erik Mongrain sounds a lot like Michael Hedges. For example,
[MEDIA=youtube]8dXBZHehxAs[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

boogie.wmv is 7.3 Mb - so use 'save target as' and save to one's HD.

Pancakes!
[MEDIA=youtube]PnCVZozHTG8[/MEDIA][/URL]

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

EDIT: Oh, and [PLAIN]"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

Radiohead

[MEDIA=youtube]PM4JcnqsJ5U[/MEDIA][/URL]

And it would be wrong to not have this in there:

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

This has always been one of my favorite McCartney/Beatles songs, but never given the exposure it deserved. The lyrics are so good.

This is funny as he mimics the instruments (french horn) that are to be played.

[MEDIA=youtube]EhfSs_2Gy54[/MEDIA][/URL]

David Bowie has gone through so many personalities.

I wondered what was so weird about this time frame (same time as he did Space Oddity), and my friend pointed out that his eyebrows are shaved off.

Rebel, rebel

[MEDIA=youtube]Zt8tYLCB7Yk[/MEDIA][/URL]

They don't have good performances of my favorite Bowie songs, so instead, here's a very tired "Five Years":

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

Definitely one of the best songs of the past five years:

"[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

For some electric guitar histrionics, Steve Vai is a kick. This song is called "The Audience is Listening" and it is featured on his "Passion and Warfare" CD with a humorous intro in which "Little Stevie Vai's" elementary-school teacher introduces him by saying that he's going to play some "nice music for us" before going apoplectic. For those who may recognize him from this clip, yes, he is the one who played for the Devil in the head-cutting contest in the movie Crossroads. Ralph Macchio's guitar parts were dubbed by Ry Cooder.

[MEDIA=youtube]ARwF7-4nd74[/MEDIA][/URL]

Now, for something completely different. Adrian Legg is simply amazing. He is a guitar repairman with incredible talent, and he puts on workshops for Ovation. Here are two clips of him playing a custom Ovation Adamas fitted with what appear to be Scruggs banjo tuners. Also several nice Kottke clips below.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]aUvyWTZi1K8[/MEDIA][/URL]

<h2>What is the Best Saxophone Song?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot determine the "best" saxophone song as it is subjective and based on personal preference. However, there are some popular saxophone songs that are frequently mentioned by listeners:</p><h2>What are some popular saxophone songs?</h2><p>Some popular saxophone songs include "Careless Whisper" by George Michael, "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr., "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph, and "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen.</p><h2>Who are some famous saxophone players?</h2><p>Some famous saxophone players include Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, and Kenny G.</p><h2>Is the saxophone a difficult instrument to play?</h2><p>Like any instrument, it takes practice and dedication to become proficient at playing the saxophone. However, with proper instruction and regular practice, it can be mastered.</p><h2>Can the saxophone be used in different genres of music?</h2><p>Yes, the saxophone is a versatile instrument that can be used in various genres of music including jazz, blues, rock, pop, and even classical music.</p>

What is the Best Saxophone Song?

As a scientist, I cannot determine the "best" saxophone song as it is subjective and based on personal preference. However, there are some popular saxophone songs that are frequently mentioned by listeners:

What are some popular saxophone songs?

Some popular saxophone songs include "Careless Whisper" by George Michael, "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr., "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph, and "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen.

Who are some famous saxophone players?

Some famous saxophone players include Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, and Kenny G.

Is the saxophone a difficult instrument to play?

Like any instrument, it takes practice and dedication to become proficient at playing the saxophone. However, with proper instruction and regular practice, it can be mastered.

Can the saxophone be used in different genres of music?

Yes, the saxophone is a versatile instrument that can be used in various genres of music including jazz, blues, rock, pop, and even classical music.