Study Habits: Share Success Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter TimeInquirer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, having a positive attitude and being interested in the subject, seeking help from peers and tutoring, studying in a quiet environment, doing past papers, and taking breaks for physical activity can all be effective study habits. It is important to prioritize studying over social obligations and to get enough sleep for optimal learning.
TimeInquirer
Anyone care to share a particular study habit that helped them gain success? Personally, I know of none lol thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TimeInquirer said:
Anyone care to share a particular study habit that helped them gain success? Personally, I know of none lol thanks

Depends upon the person.

When I studied science in college, I just did all of the work that was assigned (we were assigned a lot). If I didn't understand how to do something, I would talk to my peers, until I found someone who could explain it to me. I also reciprocated -- I found that I would learn material much better when I had to explain it to someone else. I found that if I kept up, I really did not have to do any "cramming" for an exam.

I think that tutoring is actually very effective to help the tutor gain real facility with a subject. If you can, see if you can tutor for classes that you have taken. You will relearn material that you didn't quite learn the first time, and you will likely have several "aha" experiences where you finally understand something in your bones, that was just barely sticking in your head the first time that you learned it.

I personally worked well in a quiet setting (library or my dorm room). My cousin (now a pediatrician) needed some finite level of ambient noise to study, and he found that he could do his best studying at a place like a coffee shop.

Likes TimeInquirer
TimeInquirer said:
For exams, do the past papers (where appropriate).
Unless the lecturer has changed, the style of question will generally be the same, and in some cases the questions will be identical but for the numbers used.

Yea, I find it pretty annoying to move from place to place when studying; however, sometimes it must be done in order to meet my social obligations. My dorm room is by a staircase, and that is the place people decide to communicate with each other for some odd reason... Anyway, I also find myself needing to accommodate for my friends and thus waste more time.

Advice: I try to focus for long periods on certain task before switching over to a new one.

Read the textbook and lecture notes carefully before starting the homework. There may be a lot of subtleties you won't catch right away that will help you do the homework and understand the broader picture.

Likes member2357, TimeInquirer and AtomicPhanatic
TimeInquirer said:
Yea, I find it pretty annoying to move from place to place when studying; however, sometimes it must be done in order to meet my social obligations. My dorm room is by a staircase, and that is the place people decide to communicate with each other for some odd reason... Anyway, I also find myself needing to accommodate for my friends and thus waste more time.

Advice: I try to focus for long periods on certain task before switching over to a new one.

When you get tired of reading or working out problems take a jog. It helps relax the body and mind. I had a lot of moments where I was stuck on a topic, only to understand it during a jog. Ditch your friends. One does not go to college to be cool, but rather to learn.

MidgetDwarf said:
When you get tired of reading or working out problems take a jog. It helps relax the body and mind. I had a lot of moments where I was stuck on a topic, only to understand it during a jog. Ditch your friends. One does not go to college to be cool, but rather to learn.

Never has there been a better statement directed towards me. Unfortunately, the stigma associated with close friends and the necessity to conform has been overlooked by many people my age. Thank you.

How old are you by any chance? During my teens and early 20 I was trying to get every girl that moved. At one point I had 3 gas at the same time. Did not turn out so well. Ask yourself where do you see yourself in say 5 yrs. Do you want to just wing through school and get a job. Or would you rather have the pleasure of finding things out and actually knowing things.

The best adevice my calculus 1 teacher (he is a hard az and teaches graduate school), was to not have a gf but rather friends to take care of nature's calling. Ditch tv if you have not.

@MidgetDwarf I am 18. Honestly, trying to speak with women is quite bothersome. Specifically, they often try to talk about what Jenny in her sorority told Brad about Nick (get my point?). Also, they only discuss things that are completely irrelevant to myself. This is not to say that there are some women out there who are much more superior than I am, but the majority, at least with my experience attending a "great" school, has been as I stated previously. In terms of TV, I only allow myself 30 minutes on Thursday nights to watch Naruto. Additionally, I occasionally watch a YouTube video here and there (TedEducation). I have noticed it is hard to do well when you are bothered. For example, I secluded myself from my "peers" and have been quite stress free due to the reduction of constant blabbering and hypercritical statements.

-- Ha, your calculus teach understands very much. However, it is quite difficult to convince the opposite sex (it would probably be easier for a female to convince a male) to have the occasional intercourse in order to satisfy my biological urges.

TimeInquirer said:

What I found to be most useful is having a positive attitude towards the subject and being interested in it.

Sleep is vital. Everyone says this but that is only because it is true and important. Ever since I started getting enough sleep, everything changed. If you have an exam in the morning, start planning your sleep before hand, for example, wake up at 7am the day before so that you can sleep at night early. It is usually difficult to fall asleep on nights of exams.

I find that being arrogant and fooling yourself into thinking that you understand the subject is a big mistake because you will mess up the simplest things in the exam, which you neglected and thought are trivial.

I find that setting a goal and achieving it gives you great confidence and helps you work more efficiently and effectively and reduce procrastination. For example, if you know that the final exam will have 20 questions in two hours, then try to do 5 practice problems in 30 minute then take a break for 10 minutes.

I also find it very important to know the theory VERY WELL before doing practice problems but don't fall into the trap of spending too much time on theory and thus not doing the practice problems.

Also, research your subject, read about what kind of research is going on in what you are studying, how these concepts are being applied, etc. to give studying more joy and purpose. I really like the way MIT do their lectures because they always show examples of how the concepts are applied in industry and they don't just say "concept x is used in industry y", they actually go in depth, which makes things challenging and interesting.

1. What are study habits and why are they important?

Study habits are the strategies and routines that individuals use to effectively learn and retain information. They are important because they help individuals stay organized, motivated, and focused while studying, leading to improved academic performance.

2. How can I develop good study habits?

Developing good study habits requires self-discipline and consistency. Start by setting specific goals and creating a study schedule. Find a quiet, well-lit study space and eliminate distractions. Take breaks and use active learning techniques such as summarizing and quizzing yourself.

3. What are some effective time management techniques for studying?

Effective time management techniques for studying include creating a study schedule, setting realistic goals, prioritizing tasks, and avoiding procrastination. Additionally, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks and taking breaks can help improve focus and retention.

4. How can I stay motivated to study?

Staying motivated to study can be challenging, but setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself for completing them can help. Additionally, finding a study group or accountability partner can provide support and motivation. It is also important to remember the long-term benefits of studying and the satisfaction of achieving your goals.

5. Are there any tips for studying more effectively?

Yes, some tips for studying more effectively include creating a study schedule, using active learning techniques, finding a quiet study space, and utilizing resources such as flashcards or study guides. It is also important to take care of your physical and mental health, as this can greatly impact your ability to study effectively.