1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best SUNY school for physics?

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Although this question has probably already been asked, I had trouble finding much on the topic, and I wanted to reserve the right to post follow-up questions if needed.

So which SUNY school is the best for physics?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    I think Stony Brook is the best SUNY all around. They also seem to have the best physics program as far as I know and are also located to a particle accelerator.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    While slightly limited on the research front, Geneseo might be another place to look at. The new science building there has excellent facilities, including a particle accelerator and some facilities for astronomy. At the very least it is more selective than all the other SUNYs, and thus "Smarter" students are going there, if that's worth anything.
    Be warned though that there is no actual engineering program on campus, so if you are considering engineering as a possibility it would probably be a bad choice.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

You also get the benefit of being the the Middle of Nowhere,NY. J/k I don't know much about Geneseo but it does seem quite distant from well, anything.

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a big difference between being down the road from a national laboratory and having a 1.7 MeV pellatron - essentially, a big Van De Graaf. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but "they have a particle accelerator too" doesn't give the right impression.

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6
    I'm applying to SUNY Stony Brook as a high school senior. Stony Brook has an excellent physics program, and Peter van Nieuwenhuizen works there as a professor (proposed the theory of Supergravity). In addition I heard they have great oppertunities for research with a lot of attention focused on their undergrads. I really hope I get accepted!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook