Top SUNY Schools for Physics: Which One Reigns Supreme?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best SUNY school for physics and mentions Stony Brook and Geneseo as top options. Geneseo is noted for its excellent facilities, including a particle accelerator and astronomy facilities, but does not offer an engineering program. Stony Brook is praised for its strong physics program and opportunities for research, particularly with renowned professor Peter van Nieuwenhuizen. The conversation also mentions the location and access to resources at each school.
Apexny
Although this question has probably already been asked, I had trouble finding much on the topic, and I wanted to reserve the right to post follow-up questions if needed.

So which SUNY school is the best for physics?

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Stony Brook is the best SUNY all around. They also seem to have the best physics program as far as I know and are also located to a particle accelerator.

While slightly limited on the research front, Geneseo might be another place to look at. The new science building there has excellent facilities, including a particle accelerator and some facilities for astronomy. At the very least it is more selective than all the other SUNYs, and thus "Smarter" students are going there, if that's worth anything.
Be warned though that there is no actual engineering program on campus, so if you are considering engineering as a possibility it would probably be a bad choice.

jeffasinger said:
While slightly limited on the research front, Geneseo might be another place to look at. The new science building there has excellent facilities, including a particle accelerator and some facilities for astronomy. At the very least it is more selective than all the other SUNYs, and thus "Smarter" students are going there, if that's worth anything.
Be warned though that there is no actual engineering program on campus, so if you are considering engineering as a possibility it would probably be a bad choice.

You also get the benefit of being the the Middle of Nowhere,NY. J/k I don't know much about Geneseo but it does seem quite distant from well, anything.

There is a big difference between being down the road from a national laboratory and having a 1.7 MeV pellatron - essentially, a big Van De Graaf. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but "they have a particle accelerator too" doesn't give the right impression.

I'm applying to SUNY Stony Brook as a high school senior. Stony Brook has an excellent physics program, and Peter van Nieuwenhuizen works there as a professor (proposed the theory of Supergravity). In addition I heard they have great oppertunities for research with a lot of attention focused on their undergrads. I really hope I get accepted!

1. What are the top SUNY schools for studying physics?

The top SUNY schools for studying physics are Stony Brook University, University at Buffalo, Binghamton University, University at Albany, and SUNY Geneseo. These schools have strong physics programs, research opportunities, and highly qualified faculty.

2. How do these SUNY schools rank nationally for their physics programs?

According to U.S. News & World Report, Stony Brook University is ranked #32, University at Buffalo is ranked #44, Binghamton University is ranked #88, University at Albany is ranked #125, and SUNY Geneseo is ranked #146 for their physics programs in the nation.

3. What makes these SUNY schools stand out for physics?

These SUNY schools have state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge research opportunities, and a strong emphasis on hands-on learning. They also have renowned faculty who are leaders in their fields and offer a diverse range of courses and specializations in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates from these SUNY schools?

Graduates from these SUNY schools have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. They can also pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying physics at these SUNY schools?

Yes, these SUNY schools offer a variety of scholarships and financial aid options for students studying physics. Students can also explore external scholarships and funding opportunities through organizations such as the American Physical Society and the National Science Foundation.