1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best text book for QED

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am interested on learning QED on my own. I have a good background in QM. What are the best text book that would you recommend?

C

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The best textbooks are the ones by Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (Vol. I for the foundations, Vol. II for gauge theories and the standard model, Vol. III covers SUSY).

Perhaps, however, it's not the best book to begin with. For that purpose I'd recommend Ryder's book. Also Peskin/Schroeder is not too bad, but has to be read very carefully, because it's full of typos and unfortunately also there are misconceptions on some points (e.g., even in a chapter about renormalization-group issues occur logarithms with dimensionful quantities, which is quite ironic, isn't it?).

The only book, I must warn about is Zee's QFT in a Nutshell. Usually people get confused from it!

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3
    It is just curiosity, vanhees71, it seems that Zee's book is highly reviewed over the web. What is the problem with it? Iwas thought QM in a brutal way. It was basically the two Cohen-Tannoudji Volumes. Al lot of vector space and group theory applied to some particular cases: Hamitonlian with some type of potential or under some type of coordianes. I learnt the algebra but I did not undrestand the physics. I was able to solve a second order pertubration problem given a potential, but I could not explain why the Heinserberg principle explains atom's stability.

It studied it 17 year ago. I am re-learning QM by myself. I hated QM when i studied it. I am learning to love it now..I woould like a text book that focus on the physics and less in the algebra of group theory...maybe I am talking rubbish

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4
    I think Zees book often gives very intuitive explanations, that's a plus. Sometimes these explanations are not too good, (for example on vacuum fluctuations), so that's a minus. The math is explained in some detail, especially at the beginning, but I think that he is sometimes a bit sloppy.
    So I would say yes, read it , but use other books as well. (My experience is that in QFT it is good to read several books in parallel.)
    BTW, there are many threads here on what the best intro to QFT is...

6. Apr 2, 2013 #5
    OK, I'll search them

7. Apr 2, 2013 #6

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I would add to this, "Quantum Field Theory", by Michio Kaku. I don't know what ever possessed me. :yuck:

8. Apr 2, 2013 #7

ftr

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Apr 2, 2013 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted