1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best tools for geometry?

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    What are great compass, protractor and ruler brands for geometry? I want to learn geometry properly and I need to invest in some tools. Price is not an issue if the tools will last many years

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh well, they would be my tools right here and I'll sell them to you for an easy million :D

You don't need high precision tools unless you want to become a draftsman - and these days they use computers.

To learn geometry, you just need a compass and a straight edge - and they don't need to be fancy.
    You can even make them yourself.

The cheap clear plastic rulers you get in a supermarket are excellent.
    They probably sell several types of compass too.

4. Mar 31, 2014 #3

xristy

Gold Member

You can find very nice Keuffel & Esser compass and drafting sets on eBay for no more than you'd spend to buy a new set of Alvin drafting tools and the quality of the K&E items is generally superior to the modern items. There's nothing like the tactile feedback of using a well engineered compass while exploring geometric constructions.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #4
    Little worried about the rust on these lol. If they show rust how do I get them into pristine condition?

I was looking at the Alvin compass. Anyngood.? It's the one listed for 25 dollars on amazon.

What are quality rulers? 45 triangles and protractors?

6. Apr 1, 2014 #5

xristy

Gold Member

I have bought a set for $18 that had no rust at all. I also have an Alvin set and the workmanship and materials are not in the same league as the K&E sets from yester-year. As for other tools you can find them on eBay as well. Since the dominance of computer drafting the market for quality drafting tools has dried up and it is somewhat a curiosity to acquire old tools.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted