• Polish

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Vietnamese

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other (post it)

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Middle Eastern food for me.

Ethiopian. Not only are the vegetarian dishes very tasty, but you get to eat with your fingers!

radou
Homework Helper
Balkan. If you didn't try chevapi or burek, you didn't try anything. :)

I like all kinds of food, so I can't pick a favorite. As my wife is Chinese, and we travel a lot, I end up eating in Chinatowns in several countries. Even the food in Chinatown, San Francisco is different from what you can get in Chinatown, Philadelphia. Beside the different histories and local tastes, there is also the problem of getting ingredients. One place I went to that didn't have a Chinatown was my wife's hometown,Taipei. I asked around for a Chinese restaurant, but everyone just stared at me as if I was an alien. Like Twain, I had a difficult time getting these people to understand their own language. We ate at the local restaurants, but we couldn't get any Chinese food. No moo-goo gai pan, no chop suey, no fortune cookies. I bet a lot of them never picked up a fork and ate fried rice.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
American Thai food is nothing like Thai food in Thailand. I've been to Thailand.

American Mexican food is nothing like real Mexican food.

Same with any country. There are just foods that can't be obtained here in the US or are substituted because they would not appeal to the American palate.

I prefer Amercain style Japanese sushi to real Japanese sushi.
When I lived in Houston, I used to go to a Mexcian restaurant (Leo's on Shepherd Dr.) that was operated by a Mexican family. It was great! Locally, we have a traditional Mexican restaurant, which is also run by a Mexican family who've lived here for more than 20 years. They cook cuisine local to their original home. It's definitely different than Taco Bell or El Patio.

If one wants authentic ethnic food, avoid the chains and go for a family owned restaurant, which caters to immigrants from the country or culture.

I can't vote... this thread just makes me hungry (or hungrier) for everything! I'd even go for the haggis right now. I haven't had a good haggis since I visited Scotland. :biggrin:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Vietnamese for me, I also really like Thai, Lebanese and Indian food. Tonight I'm going to a Korean restaurant, I looove their pickled vegetables.

I like all kinds of food, so I can't pick a favorite. As my wife is Chinese, and we travel a lot, I end up eating in Chinatowns in several countries. Even the food in Chinatown, San Francisco is different from what you can get in Chinatown, Philadelphia. Beside the different histories and local tastes, there is also the problem of getting ingredients. One place I went to that didn't have a Chinatown was my wife's hometown,Taipei. I asked around for a Chinese restaurant, but everyone just stared at me as if I was an alien. Like Twain, I had a difficult time getting these people to understand their own language. We ate at the local restaurants, but we couldn't get any Chinese food. No moo-goo gai pan, no chop suey, no fortune cookies. I bet a lot of them never picked up a fork and ate fried rice.
hmmm... yeah Chinatown in Taipei? that sounds ridiculous... since Taiwan is pretty much "like" China (alright, I'm not going to go into the political aspect of this issue), and the food you eat there are very similar to Chinese food (if not considered part of Chinese food). It's pretty much like asking where is Chinatown and where are the Chinese restaurants in China. Also, fortune cookies do not exist in China... I have never seen a fortune cookie in my life until I came to America.

hehe, I can imagine how everybody was staring at you...since there probably just weren't that many foreigners around and that actually seeing one is quite a sight... I remember when I was a kid (in China), I saw an African person walking around the block... I was just amazed by how different he looked and couldn't take my eyes off him. I don't think I have seen another one until I came to US.

Last edited:
RunSwimSurf
Gold Member
mmm I like filipino food. Chicken adobo and lumpia never fails. Chinese food is good too, but I like the fast food type (orange chicken).

Mexican food, but I am biased...

I love Japanese too.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Indian, but English Indian, preferably from a northern city. The Europeans just don't seem able to do improper Indian food properly.

Chicken Tika Masala - classic English dish.
You are kidding right? :surprised :wink:

Chicken tikka masala is an Indian dish brought to UK by Indians. "Masala" is a Hindi word for spice.

You are kidding right? :surprised :wink:

Chicken tikka masala is an Indian dish brought to UK by Indians. "Masala" is a Hindi word for spice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala#Origins
The origins of chicken tikka masala are disputed. A widely reported explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in a British Bangladeshi[1][3] restaurant at Glasgow in the late 1960s, when a customer, who found the traditional chicken tikka too dry, asked for some gravy.[2] The chef supposedly improvised a sauce from tomato soup, yogurt and spices.[1]

At least one source contends that the dish originated in Delhi in 1947.[4][5]

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At this point in our poll, Italian food is winning. But keep in mind that for our Italian members, Italian food isn't called ethnic food -- it's just called "food."
This is true of every item on the list.

What about poutine?

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What about poutine?
I'm having keema mutter with roti for supper, but I still can't decide how to vote.

heikengi
I'm a big fan of Portuguese food.
Mexican comes in a close second along with Japanese and Korean.

It was a close call between Greek and American for me, but I went with Greek because it's more of a treat.

This was tough because San Diego is right smack dab next to Mexico, so we get a plethora of Mex food here. But at the same time I'm Indian so my love for Indian food knows no bounds. I voted Indian as a result, but I have to say, it's a 3 way tie between it and Mex and Thai.

Love all 3.

Italian comes 2nd, Greek - 3rd.

turbo
Gold Member
I haven't had enough Greek food to vote fairly, but when I was in college, freshman were required to live in dorms. My roommate was the son of a Greek fisherman ported out of southern Maine and when I went home with him for a weekend, his father took over chef-duties cooking the entrees for both evening meals. Other family members made parts of the meals, but he made the main courses. For years afterward, I kept trying calamari in various restaurants hoping that it would be as good as his. Nope. I don't know his secret, either. The salads and side dishes were wonderful, too. No wonder Tom came to school a little on the pudgy side.

I had a wonderful salad (best ever) when I was in France: delicate dressing over garden fresh vegetables, balanced with various cheeses and cured meats. If I knew the specific ingredients, I wouldn't be typing this, I'd be a millionaire in the French Mistral region.

would have voted indian but i am indian so technically not ethnic for me but voted mexican as you cant beat it!!!!

Colombian. Love the potato soups....

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Colombian. Love the potato soups....
Wow, I have never heard of this. Looked it up, is this about what you're thinking...

http://chefmom.sheknows.com/recipebox/recipes/167.htm [Broken]

That looks great!

I'll wait for the temps to drop below 80F to make this...a bit too hot for soup now :sweat: (there's no sweat smilie but you get the point :smile:).

Last edited by a moderator: