1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best UC Colleges for Physics?

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    I'm 17 years old and going to be applying to colleges next month. I plan to major in physics. My UC/CSU GPA is a 3.8 (probably will be a 4.0 or higher by the end of this semester due to AP and community college courses), whereas my accumulative weighed GPA is a lousy 3.2. Therefore, my only real option is to apply to UC colleges and hope for the best.

My community college astronomy professor told me UC Santa Cruz is an excellent college for physics. I don't know, though.

Any thoughts on what UC colleges are best for physics, specifically theoretical physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2
    Lots of solid physics schools in the UC system: Santa Cruz, Berkeley, LA, Santa Barbara, Irvine.

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    San Diego is good also; Davis is good. USC (University of Southern California), come to mind (not sure USC is in the UC system.).

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4
    USC is private.

6. Sep 28, 2015 #5
    Would you say UC Santa Cruz or UC Santa Barbara has a better physics program? Thank you for the help.

7. Sep 29, 2015 #6

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Definitely UCSB. It is a top ten department and is incredibly strong in many areas. A lot of UCSB grads go on to the very best physics grad schools.

8. Sep 30, 2015 #7
    I'm a UC Berkeley physics student and I've been incredibly satisfied with our department. Professors are generally very helpful and approachable. If you're competent and willing, research positions are quite accessible (especially with Lawrence Berkeley National Lab just up the hill). That being said, the UC System is full of great programs; UCSB and UCSD are also very good from what I here.

9. Sep 30, 2015 #8

Agreed, I think UCB Physics is a good program, and there is something about being able to roam the halls where plutonium was discovered.

Plus, of the 22 Nobel prizes awarded to Berkeley, one-third was to Physicists.

http://physics.berkeley.edu/about-us/nobel-laureates

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook