Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best value car

1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    I'll be in the market for a new car this coming summer. The last couple cars I have leased and still like the idea. I would like to ask the question that if reliability and resale value are not important (because of a lease) then it seems the hyundai sonata is the best value. It has a good engine and packed with features for around 22k.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just drove a Nissan Altima that was HOT [fast, not stolen]. Nice car too.

4. Dec 22, 2006 #3
    Yeah but a good Altima is going to be 25-28k. I'm looking for the best around 20-23 without regard for reliability and resale value.

5. Dec 22, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I didn't expect the price to be that high. They [Enterprise car rental] offered a buy-out at around 17-18K.

6. Dec 22, 2006 #5
    What year, my quote is for a new.

7. Dec 22, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assumed that it was a 2006. It seemed like new and the mileage was still pretty low... I think it had around 15K miles.

One thing though: It didn't get very good mileage, which is no surprise considering the performance.

8. Dec 22, 2006 #7
    I just bought a 2007 Mazda MX-5. It is in the price range you are looking at. If you don't have kids to lug around you can't go wrong with it.:biggrin: It has all the speed and agility you will ever need!

9. Dec 22, 2006 #8
    Would it be able to get me through the snow/ice ridden months of winter in wisconsin? :biggrin:

10. Dec 22, 2006 #9
    I doubt it.........:frown: We have not had any snow to speak of since I bought a 4wheel drive. Now that I traded it, it will probably snow all winter. :tongue2:

11. Dec 22, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The WRX starts around $24K...and comes with 4-wheel drive.

12. Dec 22, 2006 #11
    Stay with either a honda or camry.

13. Dec 22, 2006 #12
  14. Dec 22, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just got a Subaru Impreza and love it. I had expected to compromise some performance for the safety, but I've been having a ball with it, and with AWD, it better handle the snow well (that's why I got it...my old car could handle snow, but not snowy, curvy, steep mountain roads). The only downside is the AWD does compromise gas mileage. I just took it for my first long distance highway drive today, and it did well (have to fill it up to see how well), but for local driving, the mileage is definitely a lot lower. The only other caution I got on it is that they are known for wearing the brakes pretty fast, but I'm not sure if that's just because people around here spend too much time braking on mountain roads. It definitely does a good job of hugging the road on curves (I am worried I'll wind up with speeding tickets driving it though...I don't notice how fast I'm going in it). It has the same engine as the Subaru Legacy, so there's definitely a lot of power to go with that small car. It would fall under your price range too.

15. Dec 22, 2006 #14
    I have a Subaru Impreza and its awesome 137,000 strong, just had to change the plug wires. As for the Hyundai. My dad bought a brand new Elantra 3 years ago. At 175 miles, yes 175, not 175,000, the engine died and it needed a new engine shipped in from quality Korea. I would not suggest anything Hyundai. However that's just me.

16. Dec 22, 2006 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 2.5i or the WRX?

17. Dec 22, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2.5i (and 10 characters)

18. Dec 23, 2006 #17
    there is NO value in a new car
    as soon as you leave the STEALERS lot
    you lose value

I love old volvos the rwd ones
    not the new fwd [fords]
    they are super safe
    run for ever
    and are cheap
    if you want fast add a turbo with junk yard parts cheap

19. Dec 23, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Greg, your best bet is to buy a lightly used (2-3 years old) Subaru and let the original purchaser take the depreciation hit, then run it 'til it drops. My wife has a 2002 Legacy sedan that we bought used, and the performance is great, the gas mileage is very good, and the handling is out of this world. Put a set of studded tires on that rascal, and it handles snowy/ice roads like it's riding on rails. It handles far better than my Nissan 4x4 pickup or my trusty but long-departed Pathfinder in bad weather. If you want a bit more cargo space and maybe a bit more clearance, the Forester wouldn't be a bad choice. Accord and Camry are tops for warm climates, but an all-season car in your climate should be AWD.

20. Dec 23, 2006 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with Ray and Turbo. A used car 2 to 3 years old is generally the best bet for value.

I'd make a couple of exceptions. If you're looking for a performance car, you'd have to be careful buying used since the person that bought it new probably bought it so he could drive it like it was designed to be driven. If I break down and replace my Jeep Cherokee with a Jeep Wrangler, I'll probably buy new, as well. You find a lot of older off-road SUVs that were bought primarily for runs to the grocery store, but there's really only one reason to buy a Wrangler.

21. Dec 23, 2006 #20
    My 95 Grand Prix just hit 119000 :-) It's going to get replaced with a hyundai tiburon, or Mazda 3 (maybe a low-end g6) after the winter season is over. I'm a poor college student, so those are really the only cheap yet good looking options. Though the biggest selling point of a hyundai, is the simple fact you don't need to worry about it for 5 years... God I love their warranty!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?