Best way to merge columns and rows in tables with column separators

In summary: This makes it a more efficient and convenient way of merging rows and columns with separators. In summary, the multicolumn and multirow commands can be used to merge columns and rows in a table, but they may not work with separators in some cases. In such cases, the \makecell command from the makecell package can be used as a more efficient and convenient alternative.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
For merging columns, I generally use the multicolumn command, while for merging rows, I use the multirow command from the multirow package.

The above combination works great if there is no separator in any of the merged columns. If, however, one or more columns have separators, the code breaks.

Consider the following code snippet:
LaTeX:
\begin{table}[h]
    \centering
    \begin{tabular}{|l|c c c|c c c c|}
        \hline
        col1 & col2 & col3 & col4 & col5 & col6 & col7 & col8\\
        \hline
        row1 & j & k & l & x & y & z & aa\\
        row2 & \multicolumn{7}{c|}{\multirow{3}{*}{a very long sentence that I want to type}}\\
        row3 &   &   &   &   &   &   &  \\
        row4 &   &   &   &   &   &   &  \\
        row5 & q & r & s & t & u & v & bb \\
        \hline
    \end{tabular}
\end{table}
And I get the following output:

1601031345063.png

What I wanted is that the long text will be placed in the middle of rows 2 to 4, and the separator will be removed by at that point.

What ##\LaTeX## is doing instead is that multicolumn is merging all the columns in row2, and then multirow is positioning the text somewhere in the middle. So, the point where the separator is removed is not the place where the text is placed.

I can do this "manually" by positioning the text at the correct position myself instead of using multirow to do that:
LaTeX:
\begin{table}[h]
    \centering
    \begin{tabular}{|l|c c c|c c c c|}
        \hline
        col1 & col2 & col3 & col4 & col5 & col6 & col7 & col8\\
        \hline
        row1 & j & k & l & x & y & z & aa \\
        row2 &   &    &   &    &    &    &  \\
        row3 &   \multicolumn{7}{c|}{a very long sentence that I want to type}  \\
        row4 &     &   &    &   &     &    &  \\
        row5 & q & r & s & t & u & v & bb \\
        \hline
    \end{tabular}
\end{table}
This gives the following table:
1601032078511.png
which is what I wanted.

Is there any better way of merging rows and columns in these cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the \makecell command from the makecell package. This package provides a convenient interface for creating cells that span multiple rows and columns.For example, consider the following code snippet:\begin{table}[h] \centering \begin{tabular}{|l|c c c|c c c c|} \hline col1 & col2 & col3 & col4 & col5 & col6 & col7 & col8\\ \hline row1 & j & k & l & x & y & z & aa \\ row2 & \makecell{a very long\\ sentence that I want\\ to type} & & & & & & \\ row3 & q & r & s & t & u & v & bb \\ \hline \end{tabular}\end{table}This gives the following output:The \makecell command automatically takes care of merging columns and rows and positioning the text correctly.

What is the best way to merge columns and rows in tables with column separators?

The best way to merge columns and rows in tables with column separators is to use the "merge" function in your spreadsheet software. This will allow you to select the cells you want to merge and combine them into a single cell, keeping the data from all the merged cells.

Can I merge multiple columns or rows at once?

Yes, you can merge multiple columns or rows at once by selecting all the cells you want to merge before using the "merge" function. This will combine all the selected cells into a single cell.

Will merging columns or rows affect my data?

Merging columns or rows will not affect your data as long as you are using the "merge" function in your spreadsheet software. This function will only combine the selected cells without changing the data within them.

Are there any alternatives to merging columns and rows?

Yes, instead of merging columns and rows, you can also use the "concatenate" function in your spreadsheet software to combine the data from multiple cells into a single cell. This will not merge the cells, but rather create a new cell with the combined data.

Can I undo a merge if I make a mistake?

Yes, if you make a mistake while merging columns or rows, you can use the "undo" function in your spreadsheet software to revert back to the original state before the merge. This will undo the merge and restore the data to its previous state.