Best way to select mathematics electives?

In summary, you should consult with your professors and advisors and do some additional reading to help you determine which track to pursue for your BS in mathematics. Recommended reading materials include books on differential equations, modern algebra, topology, and advanced calculus.
vcxp
I've shifted some of my degree tracks around. As a result, I've made sure that I have room to pursue a BS in mathematics. In a few semesters, I'll have to pick a "track" for my electives, but as a result of other electives, I basically can follow two of the tracks. They are as follows:

- Differential Equations
- Modern Algebra
- Topology
- Advanced Calculus (I'm guessing this is an introduction to Analysis?)

From there, I'll take a few more upper-level electives which, as far as I can gather, are heavily dependent on which tracks I cover earlier on.

By the time I get there, I'll have taken Number Theory, Matrix Algebra, Single and Multivariate Calculus, and a course on applied Modern Algebra.

What's the best way to decide which track to pursue? I don't want to skip over something that I might find fascinating. Should I just grab some books and start reading? When I was in high school, from what I scoped out Abstract Algebra seemed the most interesting to me, but that's not really a terribly credible metric.

At the very least, can anyone recommend some decent reading material to give me an idea which path I should go down?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to decide which track to pursue would be to consult with your professors and advisors. They can provide you with information about each of the possible tracks, and how they fit into your overall degree program. Additionally, they can help you understand what courses you might need to take in order to complete the track. Reading books and other resources can also help you get an idea of what each track entails and can help you decide which one might be the best fit for you. Some recommended reading material include:- Differential Equations: Differential Equations and Linear Algebra by C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney - Modern Algebra: Abstract Algebra by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote - Topology: An Introduction to Topology and Homotopy by Allen Hatcher - Advanced Calculus: Advanced Calculus by Gerald B. Folland

1. What factors should I consider when selecting mathematics electives?

When selecting mathematics electives, it is important to consider your personal interests, career goals, and academic strengths. It is also helpful to research the course content and prerequisites to ensure a good fit.

2. How many mathematics electives should I take?

The number of mathematics electives you should take depends on your degree requirements and personal goals. It is recommended to take at least 2-3 electives to gain a well-rounded understanding of different mathematical topics.

3. Are there any specific electives that are more useful for certain career paths?

Some mathematics electives may be more useful for certain career paths. For example, computer science or statistics electives may be beneficial for those pursuing careers in data analysis, while numerical analysis or differential equations may be useful for those interested in engineering or physics.

4. Can I take electives outside of the mathematics department?

Yes, many universities allow students to take electives outside of their major department. This can be a great opportunity to explore interdisciplinary topics or to supplement your mathematics knowledge with courses in related fields such as computer science or economics.

5. How can I prepare for mathematics electives?

To prepare for mathematics electives, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and skills. This may include reviewing topics such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It can also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors to get an idea of the difficulty level and recommended background knowledge for specific electives.