1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Ways to Self Learn Math

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    I am currently trying to self teach myself Algebra II and after I learn that I would like to move on to Trigonometry and so on. I was wondering what are the best methods to try to learn math by yourself. Is there any book or something on the internet to help me with this endeavor. Any answer will help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2
  4. May 20, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Do the problems in the book. Look up alternative solutions online. Find related real world problems to solve to make the math more relevant.

We would come up with some kind of new problem and then try to solve it with what we knew.

5. May 21, 2013 #4
    Tyler, another good resource, especially at the math level you are at, are youtube instructional videos. There are literally thousands at the level of algebra and trig. Try starting by going to Khanacademy:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    I am doing the same, changing careers and self teaching myself basic math, physics, and chemistry. At first I bought some of the "For Idiots" books off amazon and they were actually pretty good. Khan Academy is excellent, I'm currently using that for Physics as well. I also do a variety of courses through coursera.org and there's plenty of other sites out there that offer material for self teaching and free online courses.

Good luck :)

7. May 21, 2013 #6

verty

Homework Helper

Well the first thing you'll need is a syllabus so you know what to learn. I see some http://www.cisce.org/icse_X.html [Broken] and http://www.cisce.org/isc_XII.html [Broken], but realize these are from India and a lot of what they list is taught in college in other countries, so ignore the year XII stuff, but most of year XI should be okay (if advanced).. Or find others if you like. Then you need to learn everything there is to know about each topic via those resources mentioned above or others. And finally, you need exams or tests to verify that you are learning. Hopefully when the time comes you can find some tests online, in whatever fragmentary form they may be.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. May 21, 2013 #7
    Is coursera.org a pay site? I can't figure out what they are doing or how it works there.

9. May 21, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, it's totally free.

10. May 21, 2013 #9
    I take courses on Coursera. It's VERY good.

11. May 21, 2013 #10

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think the Coursera business model is to offer courses as free (and non-credit) and to partner with universities where fees are paid to get actual credit for courses taken via Coursera. It also looks like they are exploring other ways as well.

Wikipedia describes the business model in more detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coursera

12. Oct 11, 2014 #11
    The best way is to get a textbook and go through the textbook chapter by chapter. If you are unsure of a topic, do not use Khan Academy. There are better sources than that garbage. Profrobbob, ProfessorLeonard57 on youtube, and FIU Mike Rosenthal on ItunesU will help you more than anything Khan academy churns out.

13. Oct 12, 2014 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

Khan Academy might not have been helpful for you, but you've no reason calling the site "garbage." KA is very helpful to many people, and you have no idea whether someone will/will not be able to benefit from it.

14. Oct 12, 2014 #13
    I still think it is a garbage site. I think most people use it because that is the first thing that they have heard of when it comes to online education, or tutoring as you call it. They do not look for other videos, they just stick with Khan. I just don't think people should only be touting KA as the end all be all. That is certainly how it is portrayed.

15. Oct 12, 2014 #14

Dembadon

Gold Member

When giving advice, it's best to remain objective and leave your personal feelings and/or anecdotes out of it. If KA doesn't meet your educational needs, that's fine, but you've yet to provide anything showing that KA is an ineffective learning tool.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  16. Oct 12, 2014 #15
    I did give advice to his studying. It is just interesting how everyone throws out khan academy all the time, when there are better sources out there.

17. Oct 12, 2014 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There are other video tutorials, and some may be better and some may be about just as good. Khan Academy is mentioned often because it is well known and has been helpful - meaning that some/many students have found benefit from them.

18. Oct 12, 2014 #17
    I can see your point, and I can see how some might find them helpful.

19. Oct 13, 2014 #18
    Tyler, when I did high school math I learned a lot of stuff outside the curriculum by self studying. I used textbooks that other more experienced learner of mathematics (even mathematicians) recommended to others, and I worked them through page by page (mostly). If you want som good advice on what textbook you should get, there are (I think) a lot of threads to be find here on PF. For instance, you could have a look in the "should I become a mathematician?"-thread.

20. Oct 13, 2014 #19
    What's so bad about it ?

I am almost done with Differential Calculus and KA helped me a lot with Algebra II, Trig, Proba and stats and Precalculus. I learned so much more with KA compared to when I was in high school (I am currently relearning maths and physics because I plan to go back to school to study Physics next year).

I think KA is a great thing as long as it is used with other resources like the book of Mary Boas.

edit : Also, what is the best way to study physics and maths ? I have a year to learn the topics on KA and Boas' book. I don't know if I should study all the maths first then start with physics problems or if I should try to solve problems in Physics and learn the maths when I need them. (sorry if off topic)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  21. Oct 13, 2014 #20
    I found this link quite helpful, you might want to have a look..https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...igh-school-pre-university-book-thread.307797/

Am also a fan of AOPS books. A good approach would be to invest in appropriate textbook/s and supplement it with online learning...
    Some noteworthy options... MIT open courseware, Khan Academy, Patrick JMT, Proff Leonard57, Prof Robbob and Krista King ( Integral Calc ).

This is a good website for understanding the intuition behind Math...http://betterexplained.com

dumplump! If you cannot say anything good about others don't say anything bad either.. Keep your opinions to yourself. An average poster on physics forums is intelligent enough to differentiate between what is good and not so good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook