Bests living string theorists

• Thread starter narniaoff
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all pf members can someone tell me please the top ten of bests living string theorists im waiting for please

Answers and Replies

How do you decide who is better than who? More papers published? Better known to the public? More accurate predictions? Better salary? It's kind of hard to say when you are dealing with string theory as to who is the best since so little has been proven thus far. And even then, they're all smart people, so who are we to judge?

It's like asking whose dog is the best dog in the world. There's no single way to measure it, and everybody has a completely different opinion on it.

Danger
Gold Member
tell me please the top ten of bests living string theorists
Yehudi Menuhin has to be one of the best, in the classical sense. For something more upbeat, I'd go with Carlos Santana.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yehudi Menuhin has to be one of the best, in the classical sense. For something more upbeat, I'd go with Carlos Santana.
I am pretty sure one should consider them to be experimentalists...
:biggrin:

Danger
Gold Member
I am pretty sure one should consider them to be experimentalists...
:biggrin:
Nah, that's Mark Wood. Monkeybats rules... :biggrin:

for example there are some string theorists who contribute more than other in one way but for contributions who are at the top are they among string theorists interested in mathematics or among string theorists interested in for example landscape problem in brief twho are thinking on the mosts difficults conjectures

for example i dont know who is sergei gukov and anton kaputsin but lubos motl talk about them they are great string theorists and is it possible that theyre some biggests string theorists whom arent public known

Danger
Gold Member
Narniaoff, my apologies if I appeared to be flippant in my response... but that is, after all, my primary purpose here.
By the way, if you look very closely at your keyboard, you will notice that there are punctuation marks and a shift key included.

no problem Danger i want to know is Sergei gukov and aanton kaputsin among bests string livin theorists

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of the problems here is that string theory is a tiny field, there can't be more than perhaps a few hundred people in the whole world who actually work on string theory full time (not counting PhD students). Hence, anyone who is good enough to actually get funding for research in string theory could probably claim to be one of the best in the world in his/her particular sub-field of string theory.

Last edited:
I don't know how to quantify "best," but as long as we're throwing out names, there's always Lisa Randall.

very very
thanks a lot lot f95toli

cronxeh
Gold Member
Lets see here.. over 10^500 possible string 'theories' out there and you go with Witten? I'm sorry, not actual 'theories' but rather models, or perceptions, or opinions, or philosophies.. yea thats the word

Hi thank's a lot for the clear answers if it is possible what is the position of sergei gukov and kaputsin in string theory community

firedraco95
Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. I guess Isaac Newton may be considered a theorist in some cases.

I can't give ten, but I can name one: Brian Greene

One of the problems here is that string theory is a tiny field, there can't be more than perhaps a few hundred people in the whole world who actually work on string theory full time (not counting PhD students). Hence, anyone who is good enough to actually get funding for research in string theory could probably claim to be one of the best in the world in his/her particular sub-field of string theory.
Well that's understandable, 'coz it's so hard to test.

What about Leonard Susskind? He is one of the founders.

Here's a list of the top ten in experimental string theory: