Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Beta decay and plexiglass

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    Hi, I recently bought a glow-in-the-dark key chain, similar to http://tinyurl.com/zqf5sxb (image link). It is made from solid plexiglass, with a hollow cylinder in the middle, containing tritium. The electrons from the beta decay presumably hit a fluorescent wall on the inside of the cylinder, making the thing glow. Really cool!

My question is: should I worry about beta decay happening inside 3-6 mm of plexiglass?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is fully contained even by the first 0.1 millimeters. Tritium decays are very low-energetic.

If any relevant radiation could get out, they couldn't sell those key chains.

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3
    Thank you! I just wanted to be responsible and check it out. And now I am part of this awesome forum! =D

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just be aware that it will glow about half as much in 12 years ... :rolleyes:

6. Dec 1, 2016 #5
    Yep, I want to track it over the years. Maybe I should buy one every 12 years for fun. Adding it to my calendar now ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted