Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta decay and quarks

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    In my A-level Physics course we have been talking about nuclear decay. When an nucleus decays by beta emission the proton number increases. My teacher described a neutron as "an electron and a proton" so that the overall charge is 0. To me this sounds like a simplification. whats really going on. I know that Protons and neutrons are made of quarks has it got something to do with an up quark changing to a down or something like that?

cheers =]
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's more or less precisely what's happening :)
    This image displays it nicely:

The W- particle is some elementary particle that only exists for a short while (a so called virtual particle). You see that a anti-neutrino (the "vee", or actually: "nu", with a bar) is released, which is a very light and very hard to detect particle. You don't really notice it's there, except it can take some energy with it.
    The up and down quark, W-boson, electron and anti-neutrino are all (as far as the Standard Model of particle physics is concerned) elementary particles.
  4. Dec 20, 2008 #3
    ahh awesome. explains a lot
  5. Dec 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. Just another small comment on this part:

He makes it sound like a neutron is composed of an electron and a proton, which is not just an oversimplification, it is wrong. What he probably meant was that the neutron can change into an electron and a proton (which is right up to the anti-neutrino).
  6. Dec 20, 2008 #5
    ahh ok i see.. thanks
  7. Dec 21, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I want to reiterate what Compuchip said: if your prof really did describe a neutron as an electron and a proton, he/she said something completely, totally, unforgivingly wrong.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?