1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta decay experiment

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    this isnt actually a homework question im just interested in doing it for an experiment im running.

basically im using different aluminium plates inbetween a GM counter and 204 Tl beta source.

I've already ran the experiment and have a number of readings, ive plotted them together on a graph and its given me a nice exponential graph with a beta range of about 200-250mg/cm2 in the aluminium.

iv just had some sort of mental block, but i cant seem to work out how to find the beta maximum energy from my results? or a beta energy spectrum in that case. i can obviously work it out using mass and decay formulae, however is there a way to find the maximum beta energy from its range in the material?

cheers

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted