1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta disintegration

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    I was studying Beta decay in my nuclear courses few minutes ago, and something came to my attention.
    A nucleus can absorb an electron and undergo a beta decay like this:
    p + e- ----> n + neutrino
    Is the following one possible?
    n + e+ ----> p + anti-neutrino?
    where a nucleus absorb an positron and undergo a beta decay?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure whether you're talking about beta decay here, since the beta (minus) decay I recall learning was n--->p+e-+ anti-neutrino. This is called beta-minus, since the beta particle emitted (here the electron) is negative. Of course, to this there is a corresponding beta plus decay: p--->n+ e+ +neutrino, however this requires energy, and so cannot occur in isolation, unlike the beta- decay.

What you seem to be describing, p+e- ---> n+neutrino is what I would call "electron capture," where the nucleus captures an orbiting electron. Thus, I don't think that your second scenario would be allowed, since there are no orbiting positrons.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  4. Mar 7, 2007 #3
    Sorry for that, it's a problem when you know something in a 2nd language, and try to explain it in a third one.
    (From French to English, and neither are my maternal language)
    What I want to know is :
    since p + e- ----> n + neutrino is allowed
    is n + e+ ----> p + anti-neutrino allowed?
    I know that there is no positrons orbiting, but is that the only reason, or is there something else?
    if there is no way for a nucleus to absorb a positron , how about (e+,n) scattering? will it be possible then?

5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    There's really nothing that could forbid a positron capture. It won't happen very often, simply because positrons are rare to begin with and would be repelled by the protons in a nucleus, while lone neutrons decay. However, it should certainly be possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?