Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta Distribution Question

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    I have is a distribution that is U-shaped, centered at 0, spanning from -A to A, and I want a means to model this, a beta distribution is the closest thing I have found to kinda do this

can the beta distribution be adjusted to range from -A to A as opposed to 0 to 1? any other suggestions as to distributions to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2
    You're going to need to post more details.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    The probability density function of a sin wave is a U shaped distribution, lets say from -A to A, where A is the amplitude of the sin wave. The beta distribution is the closest thing to a U shaped distribution I have found when the parameters alpha and beta are less than 1. I have found a way to adjust the range of the beta distribution

however, what I want to know are there any other PDF distributions that generate a U shaped plot. Beta is the only one I have found so far, wasnt sure if there was an obscure one out there under my nose

5. Mar 6, 2007 #4
    Essentially, X~Uniform(domain) so you want to find the distribution of f(X). I can't help you anymore unless you give more information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?