1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta Distribution Question

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    I have is a distribution that is U-shaped, centered at 0, spanning from -A to A, and I want a means to model this, a beta distribution is the closest thing I have found to kinda do this

can the beta distribution be adjusted to range from -A to A as opposed to 0 to 1? any other suggestions as to distributions to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2
    You're going to need to post more details.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    The probability density function of a sin wave is a U shaped distribution, lets say from -A to A, where A is the amplitude of the sin wave. The beta distribution is the closest thing to a U shaped distribution I have found when the parameters alpha and beta are less than 1. I have found a way to adjust the range of the beta distribution

however, what I want to know are there any other PDF distributions that generate a U shaped plot. Beta is the only one I have found so far, wasnt sure if there was an obscure one out there under my nose

5. Mar 6, 2007 #4
    Essentially, X~Uniform(domain) so you want to find the distribution of f(X). I can't help you anymore unless you give more information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?