1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta Function Problem

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

[tex]B(p,q) = \int_0^{\infty}\frac{y^{p-1}}{(1+y)^{p+q}}\hspace{1mm}dy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely stuck on this one, just a total mental block. The answer in the book says:

"First put u = x + 2. Then put u = 4t. Answer = [tex]2\pi[/tex]"

I'll take you through what I done, but I got nowhere near the Beta function form I require:

[tex]u = x + 2\hspace{1mm}=>\hspace{1mm}4 - u = 2 - x[/tex]

Also: du = dx. So:

So now I thought to do the second part ( set u = 4t ):

[tex]u = 4t => du = 4 dt[/tex]

And I take out four as a common factor:

I don't have a clue on how to proceed, it is nowhere near the equation I need, I'm not sure how to get rid of the square root, or even "turn it upside down", but even then that doesn't work because I have 1 - t and I require something like 1 + t. I would really appreciate any help on this, thank you for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    [tex]\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1-t}{t}\right)^{1/2}dt=\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1}{t}-1\right)^{1/2}dt[/tex]

Now, you want the limits to go from zero to infinity. So looking at the integrand, what would I have to let say v=f(t) be so that when I plug in t=0 I get infinity but when I plug in t=1 I get zero?

Also, look at Wikipedia on the beta function to get familiar with it.
  4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    I think you mixed the two boundaries of the integral up.

When you plug in t = 0 into v you want 0, and similarly when you plug in t = 1 into v you want infinity.

Because the resulting boundaries you want are from 0 to infinity, right?
  5. Jul 22, 2010 #4
    Just let:

[tex]v=1/t-1[/tex] and work it through. Then switch the limits of integration.
  6. Jul 22, 2010 #5
    Your solution doesn't make sense. It doesn't give me the limits I need and it isn't in the form I need it either.
  7. Jul 22, 2010 #6
    [STRIKE]Wouldn't you be factoring out 4/4 = 1? So wouldn't the factor outside still be 1? Or am I just being silly here...Anyway, I hope this helps: [/STRIKE]
    EDIT: yep...I was just being silly. I realized where your 4 came from finally haha.

= [tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(t^{-1/2}(1-t)^{1/2}\right)} \ dt[/tex]

= [tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(t^{1/2 \ - \ 1}(1-t)^{3/2 \ - \ 1}\right)} \ dt[/tex]

= [tex]4B(1/2, \ 3/2)[/tex]

= [tex]8\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\left(sin(\theta)^{2(1/2) \ - \ 1}cos(\theta)^{2(3/2) \ - \ 1}\right)} \ d\theta[/tex]

= [tex]8\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\left(sin(\theta)^{0}cos(\theta)^{2}\right)} \ d\theta[/tex]

= [tex]8[.5(\theta + sin(\theta)cos(\theta))|_{0}^{\pi/2}[/tex]

= [tex] 4(\pi /2) [/tex]

= [tex] 2\pi. [/tex]
  8. Jul 22, 2010 #7
  9. Jul 22, 2010 #8
    Thanks Raskolnikov, I've gotten so frustrated with that problem over the last day. I seemed to be too obsessed with getting the problem in the form:

[tex]B(p,q) = \int_0^{\infty}\frac{y^{p-1}}{(1+y)^{p+q}}\hspace{1mm}dy[/tex]

That I took no notice of it being any in other form. ( Actually I'm a little confused why it is in a different form to the one I described initially, it was in a section dedicated to those types of Beta functions). Anyway, thanks everyone for your help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook