1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta function

1. Dec 28, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 28, 2013 #3
    ok, is not necessary write with capital letter the word "DO".

For to solve the integral [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex] i tried to use the beta function [tex] \beta (x,y) = \int^1_0 t^{x-1}(1-t)^{y-1} dt [/tex]

but, i don't find values of x and y but for to get of the form [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex]

5. Dec 28, 2013 #4
  6. Dec 28, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That stackexchange thread is talking about the integral ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^4}}## not ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##. If that's the one you really want to do then substituting ##t=y^4## is a good first step. Beta functions won't help with ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. Dec 28, 2013 #6
    Yes, I know the hint is for minus and here we have a plus. But it seemed like the approach might be useful.

8. Dec 28, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be, I'm just curious what problem we are actually trying to solve here. It's pretty straightforward with the minus sign.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. Dec 28, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Capitalization was intended and was needed to get the meaning I wanted to convey.

10. Dec 29, 2013 #9

lurflurf

Homework Helper

There are many ways to transform this, for example

$$\int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}=\frac{1}{8}\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{1/4}}{\sqrt{1+u}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}=\frac{3}{2}\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{5/4}}{(1+u)^{5/2}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}$$
    recall that
    $$\mathrm{B}(m,n)=\int_0^\infty \frac{u^m}{(1+u)^{m+n}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}=\frac{\Gamma(n)\Gamma(m)}{\Gamma(m+n)}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted