Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta minus decay

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    unstable nucleus with excess neutrons turns to protons, emitting electrons and electron antineutrinos,in this case protons stay in nucleus...is there any case where protons are also emitted ...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    i mean in the beta minus decay neutrons turn to protons and that protons stay in the nuclues..but is there any case where that protons,electrons and electron antineutrinos are emitted...i think free neutrons decay in this way...
  5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neutrons in nucleus dont decay, so no, that reaction of yours is not possible. At least no one has detected it yet.

But if you had neutron emission and that free neutron almost imedatly decays, then you have something similar.
  6. Nov 17, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Proton emission is possible for highly unstable and artificially produced nuclides (as the Wikipedia article indicates), otherwise proton-rich nuclei decay by positron emission or electron capture.

In beta decay, the resulting proton stays within the nucleus, and with positron emission or electron capture, the resulting neutron stays within the nucleus since the proton or neutron does not overcome the binding energy threshold.

One can have neutron emission if gamma photons with energy exceeding a certain threshold value (binding energy of a neutron for the given nucleus) is incident upon the nucleus. That is photoneutron emission, or in the case of a deuteron, photodisintegration.

7. Nov 17, 2007 #6
    Thank you for all replies...
  8. Nov 17, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I should have been little clearer:

It is a difference between the proton that is left when a "neutron decays inside the nucleus" and the process leading to a proton beeing emitted. You where looking for the process when the proton is beeing emitted togheter with the electron and (anti)neutrino, in the ordinary beta-minus decay. I dont think that is possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?